Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best hunting state?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Best hunting state?

WYOMING!!! Tons of pristine public land, tremendous trophies, little to no hunting pressure if you get off the beaten path, various terrain and cover to hunt (ive shot elk in the desert and in the mountains), very few people, and if you're into fishing there are lakes in the Wind River Mtns on the Wind River Indian Reservation that have never seen a white man let alone a fly-and some indian outfitters can take you up there for a price.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm surprised no one has suggested Alaska. Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, Mountain Goat, Elk, various Deer, Muskox. I don't know, but they may also have Stone Sheep, Black Bear. The only common big game animals that I am sure they don't have are Dessert Sheep, Big Horn Sheep, and Pronghorn Antelope. The trophies, I believe, are big. The hunting land is wide open. If you get bored hunting the fishing must be outstanding.

The question didn't say anything about what hunting was most affordable or what state did you want to live and work in, just what state offers the best hunting. I have to think Alaska would be on the short list.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Alsatian it would have to be Alaska.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

It seems if you want quantity, quality,variety, access and cheap-available tags, all these places are half as good as BC
of course BC is a province so doesn't count
Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 PM

Tough question, and it all depends on what and how you hunt. Alaska has to be #1 if you are willing to spend the money for transportation/guides and such. For someone on a budget, I would opt for Wyoming for strictly big game hunts. However, I don't think you can possibly go wrong with choosing Idaho as the best place for overallhunting as a resident. Considering theavailability, quality, and accessabilty of hunting, you would be hard-pressed to do better.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Spike

Alaska because you see so many people when your out hunting and never get anything and you get to lie to your wife about all the people you saw and everything you didnt shoot...
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

It's NOT Montana, so plan all your hunts somewhere else, please.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Montana!

6week Deer & Elk Bow Season and then with the same tag.......
5 week Deer & Elk Rifle Season if you weren't successful with your bow.

Pronghorns[8D]
Bear[8D]
Moose[8D]
Bighorn Sheep[8D]
Goat[8D]
Wolves

BC would be 1st if not for all the Taxes!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rhode Island!

Just Kidding. Actually I would choose Alaska. And nearly every hunter should know why...
Old 02-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Spike

Idaho for sure! Whitetails and Muleys. Deer and elk every year and in areas where there is actually a good number of animals. Other big game to draw for such as antelope, moose and sheep. Huge tracts of wilderness, beautiful country, sparsly populated farmlands. Grouse, pheasants, turkeys, chukars, huns, quail. Liberal seasons, fair tag/license fees compared to others. Other hunting for waterfowl, small game, birds. Landowners that STILL give you permission to hunt. A sensible fish and game department. All this plus the awesome steelhead and warm and cold water fishing in between hunts. Hunting is great wherever it is but for me, Idaho is tops.

Good luck and great hunting to all!

Quick Reply: Best hunting state?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.