Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope DIY????

Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antelope DIY????

In the average year, antelope actually out number the number of WY residents, they aren't hard to find and/or hunt. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:47 PM

I offer DIY hunts for antelope on my ranch in eastern Montana. The hunts that I offer include lodging, a map and I give you some advice for the pasture that you are hunting. If you see anyone else on you hunt, it must be a member of your hunting party. I don't allow more than a few groups at once and they are all in different pastures. My ranch has about 25,000 acres of excellent antelope hunting. For more information visit my website: www.PurpleSageOutfitters.com
Happy Hunting,
Jon
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 PM

One of the reasons that the areas with lots of public land are hard to draw is that they have some bigger bucks, If you look in B&C book you'll see that a lot of the goats that have booked in Wyo, came out of Carbon Co. Just something to think about now that we are starting the point sys.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:56 PM

I'm in Cheyoming. Harvest 2-3 Speed Sheep every year. I have also guided many goat hunts for an outfitter.
Let me throw my my .02.
First of all, where to go. If I were to suggest just one "unit", or as we call them, areas, I would have to say area 47. An area south of Casper called the Shirley Basin. Reasons: Lots of game. (there are more antelope in Wyoming than people! True!) Potential for decent size. They issued 1000 licenses last year which increases your chances of drawing. Close to I-80 (you'd be coming from Illinois). Lots of public land (BLM). Wyoming has more public land thatn private! BLM, State, National Forrest, etc.
When you apply in Wyoming, the application gives you three choices. In other words, you can list 3 areas. If you don't draw the first one, the computer automatically enters you in the second, and third if necessary.
Let me talk a little about hunting these unique critters. Flat shooting is good! I've used 25-06, 7mm Mag, and .300 Win Mag. #00 - 400 yards is not unusual. Fun too! Practice though. Practice, practice, practice. Antelope are a thin skinned and "soft boned" animal and go down fairly easy. Once down, field dress and skin & wash as soon as you can! Cool down the meat too. It is not a meat that "rides on the hood" very well. If taken care of immediately, some of the tastiest steaks you'll ever eat.
One fellow mentioned "walk-in" areas. These are listed in the Wyoming G&F site by County in the Public Access link. They do NOT require permission to hunt. There are public areas call Hunter Management Areas which do require written permission. East though, the application and permission slip can be done right on the G&F web site. All in the Public Access area.
BUT! Like I said, there is a lot of BLM land. A good map is the Wyoming Gazetteer & Atlas by DeLorme. It is topo's of the whole state. There is a whole series of them for many states. They will show you how much public land there is throughout the state. Orange is BLM, blue is State, and green is Nat'l Forrest.
Anything else? Get a good range finder that goes out to 800 yards if you can. No sence in guessing.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Game for lunch
I agree 100%