Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Post your horror stories here....

Old 01-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Post your horror stories here....

A classic "hunter didn't sight his gun in story".

Took a guy from work deer hunting this past season. His first time, he had bought a used Nova 12 ga. with a rifled barrel and a scope saddle. He can't afford a scope this year so another guy at work lends him his old BSA red dot a week before the season opens. I couldn't take him to the range during the week to get the thing sighted in proper, but he went by hisself and sighted it in, 2 days before opening day. I should of known something wan't right when he came into work and said "No matter how I adjust the scope I'm hitting low and to the right a little. I think it's because I'm flinching." We'll opening morning I sit him at the top of ravine with plenty of deer sign. I'm at the other end of the ravine, about 300 yards away, I can see him through my binos. 10 minutes into legal shooting light he has a doe standing broadside at 30 yards, he shoots, he misses. This happens again and again, he missed 5-6 slam ducks. 9:00 I double lung a doe at 100 yards with my muzzleloader. I gut her, then call him on the phone to help drag her out. Before we start the drag I say let me shoot the Nova, check the zero. I aim at a knot in big dead tree about 25 yards away. Boom, hole is about 16 inches low and 6 inches to the right. I shoot at the knot hole again, this hole is about an inch from the first. Yep, she's shooting a little low and to the right. I let him use my back-up 870 for the rest of the day and the next, he never did hit a deer (though he sure tried), I ended up popping one for him late the next day.