Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Preference Points

Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming Preference Points

I'm not trying to start the great non-resident/resident hunting debate here so with that said how many of you are going to take advantage of this new system for 2006? The way I see it is that if you ever plan on hunting in WY you better get in on this or find a new state to hunt.I'm sure there are some tags available without some preference points, but I'm certain the hunting will not be great.

In 2006 the PP's are $50 for elk, $40 for deer and $30 for an antelope. I have been putting in for moose and sheep for 5 years at $7 each, this year that price has been raised to $75 for moose and $100 for sheep. I find that ludicrous, but unless I'm willing to throw away my last 5 years efforts and money I must continue to pay the high price.

I know it probably sounds like I am trying to start the great resident/non-resident debate, but I'm not. I just sent out my check to the WY game and fish for $295 that I will never see again. I feel that I must do that to be able to hunt there in the future. Anyone else doing this?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Wyoming Preference Points

I just received my paperwork from a Wyoming outftter. A nonresident elk tag without the peferance point is aprox. $475 and $975 with the point. The outfitter reccomends paying the additional with the idea if I don't draw this year I will next. The tags are a little pricey don't you think?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

I'm getting ready to send in for my preference point. I hunted there in 2005 and had a great time. I want to keep my options open so I'm jumping in.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:12 AM

I sent in $30 for the antelope point. Elk I go to CO or UT and mulies to CO or MT normally
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

When filling out the application for PP only, I don't have to choose a unit or region, correct? Isn't the PP point statewide for that species? Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Correct, no unit or area is required, Just be sure to check the PP box on the far right side of the application.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

I'm not trying to start the great non-resident/resident hunting debate here so with that said how many of you are going to take advantage of this new system for 2006? The way I see it is that if you ever plan on hunting in WY you better get in on this or find a new state to hunt.I'm sure there are some tags available without some preference points, but I'm certain the hunting will not be great.

In 2006 the PP's are $50 for elk, $40 for deer and $30 for an antelope. I have been putting in for moose and sheep for 5 years at $7 each, this year that price has been raised to $75 for moose and $100 for sheep. I find that ludicrous, but unless I'm willing to throw away my last 5 years efforts and money I must continue to pay the high price.

I know it probably sounds like I am trying to start the great resident/non-resident debate, but I'm not. I just sent out my check to the WY game and fish for $295 that I will never see again. I feel that I must do that to be able to hunt there in the future. Anyone else doing this?
That's a bunch of B.S. The G&F comission have gotten out of control...they are making it so that it's nearly impossible to hunt anywhere..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM

I live in Cheyoming and I want to appologise for our G&F!
The commission needs some glass belt buckles 'cause they all have their heads so far up their ass, they need some way to see!
I fear it's like our oil companies, once they know people will pay whatever they ask, they will never reverse it.
Preference points might be way over rated. Here's why I say that.
Nobody can (or will) tell you exactly how drawings, preference points, or licence selections work. (Having worked for an outfitter who used to be a biologist for the G&F, and one of our regular clients was a gal who worked the front desk in Cheyenne, for many years), I do know that it goes something like this.
Lets take Elk. If the G&F issues 500 licences for a region, some 15% will go to nonresident applications. They also somehow factor in your preference points to somehow give you a slight advantage. This "advantage" increases every year you get or buy a preference point.
THEORY!
I know guys that have been putting in for Moose for 20+ years and never drew. And there are stories of people who get a Moose tag their first year applying! Wait the five years, and get another one!!!!!!!!
No BS.
So my advice to you, don't believe the magical "preference points come-on". I also am under the understanding that the G&F issue a certain percentage of licenses to FIRST TIME APPLICANTS!
Wyoming is such a great place to live if your first love is the out doors. It's a shame that college educated "back easters" (no offence) go to work for the G&F and end up screwing it up for everybody.
Good luck y'all.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

No need to apologize game and while I do feel that Wyoming residents SHOULD receive preference over out of staters (which I am), I also think that the G&F are taking advantage of the fact that Wyoming has become such a hot hunting spot so they attempting to soak hunters for a few more bucks......just my opinion...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 AM

While I agree non-res tags are over priced, I cann't agree on the point sys being over rated.
1st the point sys has only been in place for 12 years, 2nd the 15 or 20% of tags are not just 1st time applicants but all applicants. the odds of ever drawing on them is every low.
I have 6 moose points and can draw a cow tag in a number of areas.I still have to wait on a bull tag but I was 1 of the guys who put in for 18 years on the old sys with out ever drawing.
Also I went to Mexico last June with a bunch of G&F people and all most all of them are UW and CSU grads.

Quick Reply: Wyoming Preference Points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.