Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 for moose

Old 02-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 270 for moose

ORIGINAL: mooseslayer3

270 is fine for moose i killed my first moose when i was 14 with a 270 and it only went 20 yards than fell over from a heart shot.

Agree, I took my bull moose with Ruger 6.5mmSwede and 156gr Norma ammo!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

My first Bull Moose.......
there I was on the banks of Salt Creek. I had been tracking this big boy all morning. The salt cedars where tore up from the abuse handed out by this giant who trapped in the throes of lust, for reasons unbeknownst to him! It was winter in north texas and there is no place more alive with moose sign! I could here him chattering incessantly as I remained motionless against the tree. From the sign lying around, several horse apples were partially shredded at the bases of the trees all around, I knew this bull was the "ONE" I had been searching for all of my 9 years! The moment was on me and seemed to last a life time. There he was on the limb not 20 yards in front of me. We made eye contact. As I gazed into the eyes of this monster, I knew the stories I had been told were all true and then some! He looked away. I made my move. Gently raising the Benjamin .22 cal magnum I placed the open sights right behind his shoulder and squeezed! Pap! Spot on!
From that day on I knew that proper bullet placement was the key as that bruiser expired before hitting the ground. I will never forget that squirrel hunt and it seems appropriate to the theme of this thread! HUH you say?????
You have to learn to disseminate the absurd from the enlightened!!!! The hasty generalization from the common sense!
A further example..........my buddy and I were shooting his new 30/30 one day beside a pond. I duck flew over. He pointed skyward and shot at it. It fell to the tank dead! We looked at each other in stunned silence and then giggled. Told that story a million times. Even with some faux bragging on his skills as marksman. BUT NEVER once did we dilute ourselves into suggesting that a lever action 30/30 was a suitable duck gun based on a single sample!!!

Which reminds me of the time I as polar bear hunting in South America. There I was face to face ...I had just shouldered my Red Ryder when......
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

there I was on the banks of Salt Creek. I had been tracking this big boy all morning. The salt cedars where tore up from the abuse handed out by this giant who trapped in the throes of lust, for reasons unbeknownst to him! It was winter in north texas and there is no place more alive with moose sign! I could here him chattering
incessantly as I remained motionless against the tree. From the sign lying around, several horse apples were partially shredded at the bases of the trees all around, I knew this bull was the "ONE" I had been searching for all of my 9 years! The moment was on me and seemed to last a life time. There he was on the limb not 20 yards in front of me. We made eye contact. As I gazed into the eyes of this monster, I knew the stories I had been told were all true and then some! He looked away. I made my move. Gently raising the Benjamin .22 cal magnum I placed the open sights right behind his shoulder and squeezed! Pap! Spot on!
From that day on I knew that proper bullet placement was the key as that bruiser expired before hitting the ground. I will never forget that squirrel hunt and it seems appropriate to the theme of this thread! HUH you say?????
You have to learn to disseminate the absurd from the enlightened!!!! The hasty generalization from the common sense!
A further example..........my buddy and I were shooting his new 30/30 one day beside a pond. I duck flew over. He pointed skyward and shot at it. It fell to the tank dead! We looked at each other in stunned silence and then giggled. Told that story a million times. Even with some faux bragging on his skills as marksman. BUT NEVER once did we dilute ourselves into suggesting that a lever action 30/30 was a suitable duck gun based on a single sample!!!

Which reminds me of the time I as polar bear hunting in South America. There I was face to face ...I had just shouldered my Red Ryder when......
You're a good story teller, but I don't like fiction.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Love to get together for a hunt Red................say elephant in the rockies.
Killing a moose with a .270 is no fluke, even if they are flying by at the time. It can'y be said enough that shot placement is everything within reason.
I have shot moose with the .270, also grizzly, though the grizzly I shot witha .338 died quicker. I have killed more moose with the 30/06 and it is just about perfect. I have never lost a game animal though my expierience shows that most ppl that do, shoot magnums. This is do to poor shooting and shooting way out there.
Back in the early 70's when the 7mm came on stronge guys were blazing away at elk from rediculous ranges. Many, manyand were lost.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:23 PM

MOSSBERG ATR .270 OR .30-06 FOR UNDER $400!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 PM

there I was on the banks of Salt Creek. I had been tracking this big boy all morning. The salt cedars where tore up from the abuse handed out by this giant who trapped in the throes of lust, for reasons unbeknownst to him! It was winter in north texas and there is no place more alive with moose sign! I could here him chattering incessantly as I remained motionless against the tree. From the sign lying around, several horse apples were partially shredded at the bases of the trees all around, I knew this bull was the "ONE" I had been searching for all of my 9 years! The moment was on me and seemed to last a life time. There he was on the limb not 20 yards in front of me. We made eye contact. As I gazed into the eyes of this monster, I knew the stories I had been told were all true and then some! He looked away. I made my move. Gently raising the Benjamin .22 cal magnum I placed the open sights right behind his shoulder and squeezed! Pap! Spot on!

Benjamins are airguns and only shoot a little over 1000FPS, the .22 only shoots about 800fps. still have yet to shoot an elk with a shotgun!! ur full of crap and wat the heck r u doing talkinga bout a Red Ryder which only shoots 275FPS and wouldn't even penetrate a polar bears fur. tried shooting a squirrel long long time ago and the bb bounced right off. nice story though, u should become a story teller(NOT!!!).