Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 for moose

Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: 270 for moose

by Skeeter7mm:
Lets remember local hunters have a different mentality than a hunter who is paying to hunt game that he or she doesn't see in their area. I said I used a .270win with success to both Elk and Moose here in my native province of saskatchewan. I also said I limited my shot angles, range and passed animal because of this fact...now while it hurt to go home empty when an opportunity was presented it really didn't cost me anything (travel, lodging, guide service, higher tag costs, etc). I do believe you can harvest such animals with a 270 win, etc but this doesn't make them the best choice either. For a guided hunt no doubt don't leave yourself short, most hunters I guided came with more than the animal really required but didn't want to be forced into a istuation where they either made a poor shot or let the only animal walk. Extremely understandable from a guides perspective and now equally fromthis hunters as well.

To each your own just realize the capabilities of the equipment, yourself and stick by them. If you can live with this then go for it!
Good Point: "If you can live with it..." starts changing rapidly when one starts talking about real money and real time taken away from business! Of course, as long as one sticks with just dreaming about it, one can go ahead and dream about using a marginal weapon and pretending that one will be able to go back into the field over and over like a local and hang out for half the Fall -- not an option for most folks. Once the long scheduled and prepaid trip starts becoming a reality, dreams may give way to realities.

by RedRiver:
IMHO....I would recommend a sharp stick! Here is my logic.....
More game has been killed with it than any other.
It doesn't weigh very much.
It is readily available.
Very little recoil. (Provided you throw it. If you stab him with it you could get a little reverb)
As long as you limit yourself to the range you are comfortable with(i.e. don't try to stab him from a range longer than your stick)and use proper point placement, you will be satisfied with the results!!!
Just remember to get comfortable with your stick and practice sufficiently to acquire the proper confidence.

As an added bonus, when you realize that you have spent all this money, time and effort on what could havebeen an outstanding hunt, perhaps even the hunt of a lifetime, but yet had to pass up your shot due to the fact that you un-necessarily handicapped yourself by trying to use the least amount of force possible............
you can use your stick to actually do a field study as to whether that realization at that particular point in time is any more painful than a sharp stick in the eye!!!
ROTFLMAO! I shall treasure this one forever! Priceless Absolutely Priceless!

RR, so many will see the point of your "stick analogy" but still not consider upping their iron while upping their game being pursued in their remote/away from home big game hunting trip. Probably many reasons why,and I supposegetting into that wouldpossibly be construed as"being argumentive" and oh my, goodness gracious, gosh darn, PC land.... we sure wouldn't want to do that. Does kinda take the "juice" out of the reading though, don't you think?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

A buddy I went to school with , lives in Maine now and went Moose hunting afew years ago and got an 850# moose, he was showing me the phots and I asked him what he used and he came back from his shaving kit with a 6MM casing and said 100 grain bullet, this is all I have... So shot placement is more important that caliber to a point....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 PM

By EKM:
".... RR, so many will see the point of your "stick analogy" but still not consider upping their iron while upping their game being pursued in their remote/away from home big game hunting trip. Probably many reasons why,..."
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up, you kinda make one of my points for me....

By RonM:
(per the friend...) "...this is all I have..."
One of the most common reasonsfor mismatches between big game and cartridgesis that such alarge percentage of hunters are notoriously"underfunded" and/or cheap --- they use what they got to just get by --- no matter what (even when they can afford it). If the wrench don't fitthat 3/4"nut, then no problem, give me those pliers! (Wrong tool for the job).Same way with their hunting. So, if it worksand they "get by" with it, then they arethe "hero" and weget to hear about their "adventures"here,if it don't work,(Oh man, that wasn't such a good idea!),then they are just real, real quiet and wetend not tohear anything about it.

Of course, there areprobably some Eskimos out there that have done it with 22 cal's of one sort or another, or maybe even with the pointed stick (with good stick point placement)so I guess that must legitimize the use of just about anything, right? There always seems to be this assumptionby mosthunters that post on the Internet that they or anyone else can shoot the fleas off of a dog at80 yards freehand without harming the dog, yet how many can actuallydeliver on that kind of sterling shooting in the field? So what happens when the shooting isn't all that great, fair but not great?

A slippery slope it is...
Sub-22's anyone?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

quote:

by RedRiver:
IMHO....I would recommend a sharp stick! Here is my logic.....
More game has been killed with it than any other.
It doesn't weigh very much.
It is readily available.
Very little recoil. (Provided you throw it. If you stab him with it you could get a little reverb)
As long as you limit yourself to the range you are comfortable with(i.e. don't try to stab him from a range longer than your stick)and use proper point placement, you will be satisfied with the results!!!
Just remember to get comfortable with your stick and practice sufficiently to acquire the proper confidence.

As an added bonus, when you realize that you have spent all this money, time and effort on what could havebeen an outstanding hunt, perhaps even the hunt of a lifetime, but yet had to pass up your shot due to the fact that you un-necessarily handicapped yourself by trying to use the least amount of force possible............
you can use your stick to actually do a field study as to whether that realization at that particular point in time is any more painful than a sharp stick in the eye!!!
================================================== ==================================

This needs to be saved and applied to every is it big enough thread that comes down the pipe .
My hats off for you brilliant statment.

Shane

Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Moose are seriously big, but they're nowhere near as tough as an elk is.
ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

I think the .270 is just fine for moose. I'd say anything that you're comfortable hunting elk with is fine for moose. Moose are seriously big, but they're nowhere near as tough as an elk is. I prefer to pack something with a little more heat when I moose hunt, but that's just because of the potential to run into a grizzly bear.

AK Jeff
Im sorry but elk are strong and they do seem to take a shot well but ive had too many times when ive seen moose get shot 3 times in the vitals and some how manage to run away. For instance this year my buddy put 2 shots into the lungs and 2 into the hump of this bull moose and it still managed to run up the hill and stand there for a couple minutes. He was using a 7mm. But i would also have to say it depends on the type of moose the further north you get for moose i believe the bigger the gun you need.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

a lung shot moose with a .270 is a dead moose, a gut shot moose with a .338 is still a gut shot moose.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 PM

IMHO, a simplistic response to a not so simple discussion which involves many variables and trade-offs.

For a capable, all round rifleman, who is familiar and experiencedwith therifle chamberings in question, the cartridge used has very little or no effect as to where the bullet will impact the animal (at normal ranges and normal conditions and similarly equipped rifles).

On the other hand, what happens AFTER the bullet reaches the impact pointcan vary quite widely between cartridges/bullet typesand isquite sensitive to the specifics of thesituation.Generally adverse conditionsat and after impact(bones, angles, penetration distance required, etc. favor heavier, well constructed, fast-for-their-weight projectiles --- physics).

The tired old comparison that attempts to "isolate" the two farthest extremes of possibleoutcome andthen tries to implysome sort of guarantee that the "leetle ity bity friendly bullet" will be square on target in the lungsand the "big bad mean magnum bullet" will most assuredly be far back inthe guts is a worn out myth ------ only remotely approaching the truthwhen incompetent riflemen enter the picture, and they are typically a problemREGARDLESS OFANY cartridge chambering ------- including the pointed stick.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

a lung shot moose with a .270 is a dead moose, a gut shot moose with a .338 is still a gut shot moose.
Yes...........but a lung shot moose will take between three and five minutes to die. Once a moose is hit, if there is water around, he will head for it, because that is just what moose do. Now you are in the situation where you have to break him down. A .270 may or may not bust his shoulders out to break him before he hits the water. Add to the fact that he will be moving (though usually not terribly fast) and probably at a bad angle.

So, let's assume that lung shot moose makes it to the lake, where he wades into chest deep water, and subsequently dies. You now have have 1400 lbs of Yukon Moose dead in 34 degree water. You will not drag him onto the bank, it just does not happen. If you are lucky, you must strip down to your skivvies, tie a rope to him, and pull for all you are with or make a modified cumalong with some branches.

If you are lucky, you got him in about two feet of water or so, you cannot move him any furhter because the mud on the river bottom prevents it. You know have the delightful task of butchering and quartering an animal the size of a stout horse in water just a few degrees above freezing. If you are lucky, you can start a fire on the bank and warm up between butchering sessions. If you are not lucky or north of the Arctic Circle, there is precious little wood to have a fire, so you are SOL.

Never had this experience myself, thankfully, I did not have to. My buddy did it for me, I saw and heard how he felt about the experience, so, I make sure I will not repeat it.

To each their own, but a .270 is certianly no moose rifle. Maybe shiras cows, but there are far better choices if traveling up north for a trophy bull.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 PM

To each their own, but a .270 is certianly no moose rifle. Maybe shiras cows, but there are far better choices if traveling up north for a trophy bull.

I would have to agree with Magnum. Sure for Shiras moose i believe a .270 is enough but for a wintered Canadian Bull moose or any Alaskan moose a .270 just wont do the job. The size and the the amount of bone and muscle and flesh the bullet will have to pass threw is unbelieveabe. if you hit a moose in the shoulder then a rib you have about 3" of bone to pass through plus one of the thickest hides on any ungulate and all the meat on the shoulder man after boning the shoulder out you got about 20lbs of meat and the muscle is about 4 inches thick so thats 7 inches of moose the bullet has to pass through before it even hits vitals and who knows if the bullet was redirected my a rib. Im sorry but if my 30.06 with 180grain bullet doesnt even make it all the way through all the vitals i highly doubt a .270 will do the job. But like i said before i depends on the type of moose you are hunting for. But if you are coming up north you better be bringing that 7mm mag cause you just might need it.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 PM

270 is fine for moose i killed my first moose when i was 14 with a 270 and it only went 20 yards than fell over from a heart shot.

Quick Reply: 270 for moose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.