Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk guide question.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk guide question.

Hey fellas, I have a question for the group. I dont come in here very often but I was hoping you could help a guy out. My father and I are looking to book an Elk hunt for '06. Problem is, I dont want to go with an outfitter that I cant get a personal thumbs up from some people I know, and I hope that my fellow HNI brothers wont let me down. I have been running into a brick wall with people, alot say "I hunted with this guy, but I cant remember his name" etc. So heres what Im looking for. Because my father is going along, no pack in hunts, must be rifle, and must be guided (of course) We are hoping to pay somewhere between $3000-$4000. Neither of us NEED to kill a monster but a nice mountable Elk is what we're looking for. Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE guide who is interested in helping us get a bull, and not just take our money? Your help is GREATLY appreciated. oh and what state we hunt in is not necessarily a factor.

thanks guys.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: Elk guide question.

Is it realistic to expect any responses to your post? The implication of "no pack in hunts" leads one to think your father is getting along in age, but that might not be true. To get a "mountable elk" for four thousand dollars, with a "reliable guide", is just not likely to happen. I would suggest you focus on Colorado, as that state has a very high elk population, and plenty of guides available to choose from. I wouldn't bet much on your finding what you are looking for though. I suspect that the cost is more like six grand a person, for a reliable operation, that is able to get your father a reasonable shot at a bull. Good luck though!!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frozendisc

Is it realistic to expect any responses to your post? The implication of "no pack in hunts" leads one to think your father is getting along in age, but that might not be true. To get a "mountable elk" for four thousand dollars, with a "reliable guide", is just not likely to happen.
well, living in MD, and having never traveled west of Minnesota, I didnt know. My father is not old he is just unwilling to be out in the wildernessaway from everything for a week at a time. I was hoping for $4-5k dollars that one might be able to at least stay somewhere and hunt and not neccesarily have a guide holding your hand but point you in the right direction. If I had $6,7,8k to spend Im sure I could easily find a guided hold your hand hunt that would be very accomadating, that is why I came here. Sometimes, I have heard that some outfitters that are rather new or dont advertise have cheaper hunts that would fit my needs. I thought maybe one of the guys on here from out west could recommend a friend of a friend with a small operation that was decent. I also understand hunting is hunting or it would be called killing. I am not saying I want a 100% guaranteed hunt.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Spike

As I said before, your father might NOT be old, which is apparrent now, asthe realissue is being in the woods. So you are looking for a guided hunt, that is based out of a lodge, for 3-4 thousand a person, with a decent mountable elk for both, but you DON"T want the guide to be with you "holding your hand." I think you have unrealistic expectations, but I do wish you all the luck one could have. A few tips if I may....If a guide says 100 percent kill, RUN as fast as you can. Also, unless you have been in the deep woods out west, it might be best to have that guide close by!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Mossy33oak,

Try this outfitter out. He has a comfortable lodge, good meals, that you can come home too every night.

ttp://www.wildlifeadventuresinc.com/

They offer guided or unguided hunts in areas that are assessable with 4x4 in a nice area of Montana.

I performed some remodeling work on one of their buildings.

One of their guides takes his clients to one of the same areas I hunt. A Good hunting area.

If you call ask to speak to Rick Martz.

Good luck.
Montana
Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

www.shattuckcreek.com

I have bow hunted with this outfit twice, taken 1 elk. I have ZERO experience with them rifle hunting, but I believe they get more success with rifle hunting (makes sense). I went in 2004 and out of 8 bowhunters for elk in camp, we took 2 bulls, had 1 miss, had 1 hit/lost and had1 guy freak out so bad at the 6x7 bull ripping up a tree 15 yards away he couldn't draw. All hunters saw elk, some decided to pass on cows.

Not sure what you mean by "reliable", I will vouch 100% for the attitude and quality of people that own Shattuck, its run by a father and son team. Rifle season they run a remote horse camp AND a lodge hunt. Archery all goes out of the lodge, VERY good food, comfortable beds and you leave each morning in either trucks or ATVs.

I have no clue how different things are for rifle season, you could ask them, but archery we headed out, they have over 80 treestands, many elk are taken from these over wallows, trails etc, or you can spot/stalk, call etc. During archery you come back to camp for a BIG meal and head out again for the afternoon.

They are in Idaho, hunt up in areas 8,10 mostly. For archery the tags are OTC and good for either sex elk, again, I don't know what the differences are for rifle.

Like I said, I have hunted here twice, going back again with my wife (she went the first time, not the second), in 2007. They make the east coast sporting show circuit, I know they do Springfield MA (where we met them), Worcester MA and Harrisburg PA. They do not use booking agents or much advertising, most of the business is word of mouth and from show bookings. They are some of the nicest people you would ever meet. I have never been on a guided hunt anywhere else so really have nothing to compare it to, but we like and trust them.

--Bob

Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 AM

Mossy, PM sent.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 PM

IDAHO
7 days of Rifle Hunting

[align=right]Hunt #1
Hunt #2
[/align][/align]
[align=left]Oct 09th
Oct 18th
[/align]
[align=center]through through[/align]
[align=left]Oct 15th
Nov 24th [/align]

1x1 w/guide- $ 4,200.00 per hunter | 2x1 w/guide- $ 3,100.00 per hunter
Drop Camps Available

[align=right]# 1 Hunt-
# 2 Hunt-
# 3 Hunt-
# 4 Hunt-
# 5 Hunt-
# 6 Hunt
- [/align]
Oct. 24th through Oct. 28 th
Oct. 31st through Nov.04 th
Nov. 06th through Nov.10 th
Nov. 12th through Nov.16 th
Nov. 18th through Nov.22nd
Nov. 26th through Nov 30th
50% Deposit Required
1x1 w/guide- $ 3700.00 per hunter | 2x1 w/guide- $ 2600.00 per hunter
I think those are fair prices.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 PM

check out www.horseshoecreekoutfitters.com
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 AM

I don't think that you were being unreasonable at all in your request. There are decent outfitters out there in about the range you are looking for. My husband and I have heard good things about this particular outfitter, Circle KBL Outfitters and Guides.
www.circlekbl.com They have plenty of references available in their brochure also.

7day 2x1 Guided Pack-in Horseback Elk & Deer Hunt $3250
7day 2x1 Guided Lodge Elk & Deer Hunt $3250
(Add $1250 to above for 1x1 Guiding)
Guided hunts include all meals, guide service, lodging, trophy care, and hunt transportation. All hunts include airport pickup in Missoula, MT. Add 3% US Forest Service Use fee to all hunt prices. 1/3 deposit to hold date, 1/3 due in July, and 1/3 due on arrival. Deposits are non-refundable.

Quick Reply: Elk guide question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.