Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

Old 12-18-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

I have had an ongoing discussion with friends about this subject. Some say never, some say it happens all of the time. I have done some research on the web but only find weak sources at best. What do you think? Do whitetail and mule deer cross in the wild? And if so, what is the proof other than my friends brother-in-laws cousinshot one in '62 that F and G said was cross. Point me to some hard facts so I can settle this argument. Thx.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Default RE: Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

Here in Wyoming it is pretty common. The Wyoming Game and Fish can back this up. I have a video from down by Saratoga Wy. on the golf course that is near the river, of several bucks that have muley tail and markings, but whitetail main beam. I have seen it in Nebraska to.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Here in my town we have mulies and white cross breed all the time they look kinda cool actualy!
Old 12-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have watched whitetail bucks run larger mulie bucks off mule deer does during the rut.
The alberta division of fish and wildlife confirmed cross breeds with DNA testing over 20 years ago.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep they cross. A local wildlife biologist killed one himself. Had a huge frame with double forks, on both sides. But it looked like a Whitetail, except the ears were a little larger.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whiltetail/mule deer hybrids are pretty common. Many mammals of the same genus can interbreed freely. Whitetail and mule deer are genusOdocoileus. My close friends have killed them and simple genetic tests have confirmed hybrids in many states. I could drudge up some peer-reviewed articles for you if you wish but a quick call to your local state biologist should clear up any confusion for you.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM

any pics of this cross?

Old 12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure I could find some but they probably wouldn't be confirmed hybrids. I'll get a hold of some people and see if they can point me to some pictures/papers.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

this website has a pic of a possible hybrid but it is not a confirmed hybrid
huge deer to say the least. http://www.whitetails.com/photos/trophy_room_enlarge.cfm?trophy_number=109
Old 12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Somewhat off topic, but related. In 1952 my grandfather shot a huge non-typical whitetail (7x8) that had it's antlers locked with a very large mule deer buck. When he shot the whitetail it appeared to be feeding with it's head in the brush. He put two well placed rounds into it and it wouldn't falldown completelyso he walked up to investigate. It wasn't until then that he found the mule deer, which was already dead and partially eaten by coyotes. The local game warden then tried to ticket him for having two deer and only one tag.For fear that he'd lose both of themhe took a pry bar and tore the mule deer antlers loose and kept the whitetail. He said the mule deer was a wide racked 4x4 that went completely around the whitetails rack. Can you imagine how unique it would be to have that hanging on your wall? I've seen a lot of locked antlers, and even pronghorn antelope horns, but I've never even heard of another case of a whitetail and a mulie locking up. Luckily the whitetail wasn't lost and my grandfatherrecently gave me the shoulder mount of it so that it wouldn't get lost. That all transpired in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

As far as hybrids the little bit I know or have been told is this. They usually result from the breeding of a whitetail buck and a mule deer doe. Supposedly mule deer bucks aren't fast enough to catch a whitetail doe and breed her. The hybrids also have very poor survival skills because of the different instinctual survival strategies of their parent species. They can't stot (hop) like a mulie, and they aren't as fast and elusive as a whitetail. Basically they equate to ill fated coyote food.

AK Jeff

Quick Reply: Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.