Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

That's a great lookin deer....no matter what is is!!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

What would you call them? Whitemule or a muletail?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A quick literature search didn't turn up anything but my educated guess is that they are not fertile. Much like a mule or hinny.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you scroll down in this link to the Hybrid section it explains several species of deer that hybridize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer

This source states that theydo hybridize and the offspring are fertile, but their survival is very limited and most die at a very young age.

AK Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

If you scroll down in this link to the Hybrid section it explains several species of deer that hybridize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer

This source states that theydo hybridize and the offspring are fertile, but their survival is very limited and most die at a very young age.

AK Jeff
That source states that In captivity, Mule Deer have been mated to White-tail Deer. Both male Mule Deer/female White-tail and male White-tail/female Mule deer matings have produced hybrids. Less than 50% of the hybrid fawns survived their first few months.

The source states nothing regarding the fertility of such offspring other than an off hand quote from Darwin which is completely taken out of context and has no bearing on the species being discussed. If what this source states is true, it appears somewhat of a moot point as they probably will not survive long enough to potentially breed and then may suffer from other sources of isolation like behavioral differences.

As far as Wiki goes it is a good source of general information but an obscure question like this is best addressed using peer-reviewed literature.

I'll continue tolook for a fertility study done on hybrids, I'm certain there has been done something done it's just a matter of finding it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

BA,

It actually does reference the fertility of hybrids indirectly. It says that a 1/8 whitetail 7/8 mule deer can't stot. Obviously they'd have to be fertile in order to get that degree of hybridization (F3). Here's another article that probably doesn't hold much weight either, but at least it's better than Uncle Billy Joe Jim Bob, who dun seen of them thar half-breeds down by the crick.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/hybrids.htm

AK Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Read the headline and was immediately drawn in.
I'm in Wyoming also and I can tell you White tail bucks will breed with Mule deer does. Game & Fish Biologists indicate it is because of the much more aggressive behavior of the White tail buck. They will eagerly and effectively run off any Mulie suiters in the area.
The offspring are deffinately sterile and cannot reproduce. Not only that, but it is common knowledge that they are a little retarded as well.
It is because of the crossbreading that many hunt areas in Wyoming will read: "Mule deer buck, or any Whitetail". The G&F want to rid the area of Whitetails and any cross breads, in order to help the Mulie propogate properly.
It is a rarity however. Mostly because White tails prefer a completely different habitat than the mulies. Generally, White tails are the same here as elsewhere. They prefer low areas around creek bottoms where Mulies prefer Elk country like open prarie sage and/or high Alpine meadows even above timberline.
Nuff said?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch
Not only that, but it is common knowledge that they are a little retarded as well.
I'm not so sure about this. It seems to be the popular theory however. I have personally seen deer killed that I highly suspected to be hybrids and they didn't seem to be "retarded" to me. Granted I wasn't able to see their escape mehcanism (stotting). This comes back to what I said earlier.

ORIGINAL: game4lunch
Mostly because White tails prefer a completely different habitat than the mulies. Generally, White tails are the same here as elsewhere. They prefer low areas around creek bottoms where Mulies prefer Elk country like open prarie sage and/or high Alpine meadows even above timberline.
This is true most of the time. However, in many states the mule deer's winter range interfaces with habitat often times heavily populated by whitetails, particuarly with the onset of urban sprawl the pastcouple decades so if you want to look at it from a historical perspective, it's probably occuring now more than ever.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

BA,

It actually does reference the fertility of hybrids indirectly. It says that a 1/8 whitetail 7/8 mule deer can't stot. Obviously they'd have to be fertile in order to get that degree of hybridization (F3). Here's another article that probably doesn't hold much weight either, but at least it's better than Uncle Billy Joe Jim Bob, who dun seen of them thar half-breeds down by the crick.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/hybrids.htm

AK Jeff
hehehe

Sorry about that you are correct. It'sa shame they didn't reference a source for that particular sentence.

I found that article quite a while ago, unfortunately it doesn't hold water either. He does have some interesting takes on potential cues though.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:23 PM

yeah, i accually missed (what i thought to be) a mulie/white tail cross in Montana this year. I was bowhunting on the milk river near glasgow. the deer had a white tail body, but antlers of a mulie. it was pretty neat, still dissapointed i couldnt capitalize.

Quick Reply: Whitetail - Mule Deer Cross

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.