Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Share your best elk hunting tips

Old 01-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Share your best elk hunting tips

When the snow gets about foot and a half or two feet deep. The cow will come down to less snow, so their calves can feed. Ice, that stays on for days, will also bring them down. Like several hunters have told you, watch the wind direction & keep on top of it. Because wind direction can change in 50 feet of travel. Also make sure you have at least two flashlights & batteries & bulbs.... ever try to change a bulb in the dark?? That's whyyou need two. I don't remember, but I'm sure someone said something about a collapsible bone saw. When you get in an area that there is elk, never make a sudden movement( turn your eyes first) then slowly move your head. If you can't see anything geton the ground and look for movement....you just might see a elk with their head down looking in your direction. Also when elk are around go slow, real slow...Good Hunting & Good Luck
Old 01-18-2006, 08:54 AM

The best advice I can give is: Hunt from above them. Always hunt from the top down if at all possible. Too many folks hunt up from below them in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like they said. Hunt where the elk are. Sounds simple but if you're running around in the woods where elk don't live you won't find them. Look for droppings and hoof-prints and try to gage how fresh they are. An active elk area will have lots of fresh sign and probalby some broken branches where the big bulls are still tearing up stuff.

Also, try to hunt with your ears. You can generally hear elk walking around if you're quiet and still. Also they'll cow call a bit too if they are relaxed. I'd try to get out to an area in the dark before first light and just sit as quiet as you can to see if you hear any. If that doesn't work then try some soft cow calls or maybe a bugle if you're good at it.

One thing I've been doing a lot is watching hunting videos. After seeing how the pro's do it you'll have at least some idea what to expect. If you can find the elk, getting a cow shouldn't be too hard. Just be ready to pack a lot of really good eating meat. Good luck!