Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do you know what day it is?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you know what day it is?

I heard a shot yesterday down in the cut from me and started working my way towards the sound as I was in the same drainage. As I worked my way down this crevis I could see some florescent orange and started to approach, slipping and slidding on me arse on ice towards the gathering. As I approached, there was this guy who had about 4 kids from 12 to 14 years old in which cows were legal for them. I congradulated the kid(s) as they were taking pictures of his first kill/ or elk, but I am not really convinced in who actually shot it, but as I approached the guy he was field dressing it and then went to tag it. He punched out the month on the tag and asked, " do you know what day it is?" I thought for a moment and I said, hell, I don't even know what month it is hardly. We started debating on the actual date, and we really didn't know. I told him, I'll go back to my truck and call on the cb and see if I can get some reception to find out. No reception was avaliable. I went back down to the crevis and I really don't know why, but I told him, I knew it was nov., but not sureof the actual date as I have lost track myself. I explained to him that in bringing a untagged cow out would result in forfeiture in hunting rights as well as your weapon and camo and possibly the vecihile and a heavtie fine. The guy was thinking about abandoning it, but I told him thats not going to happen. I told him, what I will do is sign your tag that you got it today so if there are any questions you can use me as a witness. He agreed and I helped in dragging the cow out as I had a sled in the truck. I know its the resposiblitilty of the hunter to know what day it is but sometimes its easy to be out hunting from sept to nov and loose track of what day it is? Just kinda curious if any one has had something like this happen?

Bobby
Old 11-22-2005, 04:43 AM

Default RE: Do you know what day it is?

All the time! I work shift work and I never know what day it is, I shot a whitetail last week and had to stop and count days from the first day of my vacation to fill out my tag,
I have to write notes to myself so I don't forget important dates and get in hot water from the better half.
Days of the week get real tough.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, date is on my watch
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bobby it happens all the time to me,one trick I do is befor I leave the pick-up or gas station is look at my cell phone.Also some GPS have a day date and time on them.
But belive me I have also had to count the the days.
BBJ
Old 11-24-2005, 08:15 AM

I always forget what day it is in Iraq, and it always makes my day when I found out it is later in the week than I thought it was!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, I am lucky that I even know what yearit is anymore. I just got used to putting 05 in the checkbook, now they are going to change that. I have done the same thing all too often and have to count back the days to the start of my vacation also. It might be handy to find one of those wallet size calendars. That may help.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

You think remembering the date is hard. I shot a mulie on 10/29 and notched the tag. Iwas driving out with the deer and was stopped by a sheriff. He noticed the deer and requested to see my license. Thinking no big deal. I showed the necessary info. He thenasked where the tag was. I had nothing to secure to the deer, so it was rolled up inside the ear facing down. He wanted to see it, so I jumped into the truck and pulled it out of the ear for him. He seemed to think I was poaching. Now he is looking at me and I'm thinking What? I had notched the tag for 11/29. Luckily the day was correct. After a few minutes of talking he understood that I made a mistake. I was able to leave w/o a ticket and keep the deer. It could have been much worse. I will be much more careful in the future. I now know how it feels to make a veryhonest mistake. The moral of the story is take your time and get the tag notched correctly.