Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Mule Deer

Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default DIY Mule Deer

For 3 years now, I have been trying to harvest a Mule Deer, here inKansas. I've had many close calls, but have been unsuccessful, with my bow. I'm looking into planning a DIY Rifle or Bow Deer hunt for next fall. And since a lot of state require the tags to be entered in the next 2-3 months, I thought this would be a great time to look into it. I'm not looking into a guided hunt. Would be interested any states within reasonable driving range of Kansas, including the Easternhalf of the Rockies, states. Anybody have any recommendations on past hunting trips? You input and helpis greatly appreciated!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Mule Deer

I think you'll have a hard time finding better hunting than what you have in western KS., without paying an outfitter! If you're having a few close calls each season in the area that you already know, I'd stick with it! Knowing your hunting area is one of the biggest assets which will lead to success!
With that said, I think Utah would be one state that I would look into!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Kshunter - DIY hunting for mulies is a blast. I started hunting Wyoming in 1998, and have been there five times since. There is tons of public land, and no matter how good your local hunting is it is great to try new country. Here is a pic of my '05 buck. Sorry about the "headshot", I didn't have my camera with me in the field. I had to pack him out a fair distance. I killed him on the other side of the ridge you can see in the background. Public land, general unit, DIY.

Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help you with anything I can.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

It has been a long time since I posted a picture on this site, and I can't seem to get the pic to work. Can anyone help?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Buck, I'll shoot you a PM

Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try to hunt the rut if you are going out of state. If you spend that much time and money, make sure it will be at its best. I hunt southern Idaho, and we have some nice mulies. This was DIY buck a couple of weeks ago.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Chad--That's the 2nd time you've shown that buck!!!! I swear he looks bigger the 2nd time around!!!!!! <grin>

I have no advice Kshunter, sorry!!! Other than ElkCrazy8 might help you out!!!----------------------------ElkNut1
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, that buck is loosing wieght at about a pound a night. The sausage that I had made is some of the best I have eaten.