Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

recommended alaska hunts? bear & caribou

Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Default recommended alaska hunts? bear & caribou

looking to get my dad a nice alaska hunt.
something like a large brown bear (kodiak? grizzly?) and then add something like a caribou.

any suggestions on hunts? looking on the net there seems to be tons, at all different price ranges. not trying to find the cheapest, just a decent price, that has good recommendations. and im not quite sure on what type of bear to look into. i keep seeing kodiak, grizzly, and brown. so im guessing it all depends on the area?
im not just going to jump into it, so i want to research it well first.
if anyone has any suggestions or advice, i would definitely like to hear them.
thank you in advance.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM

Default RE: recommended alaska hunts? bear & caribou

Just to let you know, grizzly, brown and kodiak bears are all the same exact species, just different names. Kodiak bears are just a little different because they are the ones living on Kodiak Island. They have a different name because on Kodiak Island they grow larger than normal grizzly bears because there's so much food around.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

for caribou and brown bear you need to get in contact with a guide that can operate on the Alaska Peninsula. grizzly and caribou can be done in western or northern Alaska. Brown bears are bigger and can exceed 10 ft sq. an 8 foot griz is about max. for most areas. Kodiak is permit for bears and the caribou there are actually reindeer that were released and are in very limited ares of the island.
non residents are required to have guides for brown bear , grizzly , sheep and mtn goat
bear hunts will run 12-15K / person , if not more some areas require drawing permits.
i have a friend that guides on Kodiak and i think he is out in the western part of the island where the "caribou " are. a friend of mine from Colo. when with him 3-4 springs ago just for bear and rifled a B & C 10' 3" bear.
contact the biologist with fish and game and see where they would recommend as the best areas for a combo hunt. that will help to narrow the search.
i have never hunted the AK pen. or up north by Kotzebue. i do know a handful of guides that have or do hunt various areas.I hunt the road system up to the haul road in the archery only area.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:00 PM

There is nothing cheap about a coastal brown bear hunt either. Going rate seems to be $12,000 and up.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are the two names of Caribou , I know one is woodland caribou, brain dead on the other one....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: RonM

What are the two names of Caribou , I know one is woodland caribou, brain dead on the other one....
There's actually 3 types. The other two are barren ground caribou and peary caribou.