Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting bear for the first time

Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Hunting bear for the first time

I've been hunting deer for a long time, but in the last ten years the black bear population has really rose here in SW PA. Me and a few friends have decided that we're gonna give it a go next week when season opens. We arent allowed to bait here, so whats the best tactic for hunting black bear? There four of us so we might be able to do a few small drives. Do any particular calls work well? Thanks for any help.

BTW - I'll be using a .35 remington and they'll be using a .300 weatherby and two 30-06's. im sure of it that we have enough fire power to take down a black bear.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting bear for the first time

Predator calls have been known to work but be very careful as a bear can appear very suddenly and without warning.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:10 AM

Spot and stalk if the terrain allows. If not I would set a stand on a watering hole that shows bear sign. Beyond that drives may work but I have my doubts. Good luck and keep us filled in on how the hunt goes.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:58 AM

Find where they are eating. The only thing that bears are doing this time of year is eating eating eating! If you can scout a few areas to find out what the bears are feeding on then you should be able to find the bears. I would set up a stand over a good looking feeding area and get in there in the early afternoon (maybe 1:00) and then wait 'em out. I don't know how successful a drive would be. Black bears are fast and silent and very reluctant to travel out in the open. If you want to try driving them I would set up two shooters and have three guys drive a wide path toward a heavily used game trail. You don't have to move fast or make a lot of noise, because the bears will hear you and smell you and they will start moving. Above all else, study your bear anatomy and make your first shot count. Bears don't lay down and die like a deer will. After your rifle goes off they will take off and run until they are dead. I shot mine this year with the 30-06 and took out both lungs and the heart and he still ran 10-15 yards through heavy cover...AND FAST! You would be surprised.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Since baiting is not allowed in my state, the best way to catch up to a bruin is to find wild apple trees or beech trees that are dropping a lot of nuts. They seem to prefer beech to acorns.