Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk outfitters

Old 11-11-2005, 06:33 PM

Default elk outfitters

Can any one recommed a good guide for a trophy elk hunt?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: elk outfitters

I posted a similar question and no one responded to me either. I wonder if we picked the wrong forum. Somewhere there's got to be someone who can tell us which of the hundreds of outfitters out there are good, and which ones stink. I don't want to spend big bucks on the wrong one.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lonesome Dove, Reserve NM 505-533-6533. Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I also didn't get a single reply looking for a muzzleloader elk hunt. I am wondering if I would have gotten a response had I posted in the Guide/Outfitters column?
ORIGINAL: tomsbass

I posted a similar question and no one responded to me either. I wonder if we picked the wrong forum. Somewhere there's got to be someone who can tell us which of the hundreds of outfitters out there are good, and which ones stink. I don't want to spend big bucks on the wrong one.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:53 PM

What state are you interested in? Do you want to ride horses or not? What is the limit ($) you want to spend just for the outfitter (not counting tags, travel, etc.). Do you want a "drop camp" or a full-fledged guided experience? How many days do you want to hunt? Ya see where I am going? Give us an idea as to what you are looking for and I'll bet you get several responses.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

The states we are considering would most likely be MT,WY,ID,CO, from what I know of NM or AZ they are way out of my price range, I'm a blue collar working class stiff from the Midwest and can't afford no $10,000 elk hunt. As far as riding a horse goes, hell yeah I'll ride a horse!, if it gets me where the elk are. I'm not looking to kill a 350" + bull, I just want an honest outfitter to provide me a decent hunt and hopefully a chance to harvest a respectable bull elk, I know it's hunting and that's all a guy can hope for. I've never hunted elk so it would definately need to be guided. As far as how many days,I would guess6 or 7 daysminimum. I am a rifle hunter, muzzleload hunter and a bowhunter, therefore I am flexible as to whichever betters my odds to harvest an elk. Send me an email if you can provide any ideas, I be glad to get atleast one response. Thanks, Craig.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the consistent posters on this section hunt on their own. I have been on 2 guided hunts in Idaho, going for a third time in 2007. So far 1 for 2 with archery.

You need to decide a bunch of things before getting serious about looking up outfitters:

- what will you be happy shooting? Cows ok? spikes? bull only? what size?
- how much money will you be willing/able to spend? there's lots on top of the outfitter cost, which will run around $3-$4K for a 7 day hunt, then up from there. You have to also cover: licenses (several hundred), transportation to the outfitter (airline? Another few hundred), get the meat home (airlines? another chunk).
- are you willing to wait for a draw state such as WY where you might not draw for a couple of years?

the outfit I went with is Shattuck Creek Outfitters, its run by a father/son team and are GREAT people. They hunt northern ID (areas 8,10 mostly) have outfitter license for thousands of acres, private, public and leased. For gun season they open up a second camp that you hunt out of camp on horses, archery is only from the base lodge. I last went in 2004, out of 8 elk hunters, 2 of us shot bulls, one miss, one hit/lost, so we should have been 4 for 8, 50% for archery is VERY high without going to the BIG dollar outfits. All 8 hunters had elk in bow range, some passed on cows, one guy had a MONSTER at 15 yards and it freaked him out enough that he couldn't shoot they are intimidating critters. They do ALOT of treestand hunting, but the guides are more than happy to run around calling with you.

--Bob

Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 AM

I agree with other posters that the question is much too vague. I need more specifics to answer your question. I liken your question to someone asking: who makes a good vehicle?
I will try to answer as best I can.Crow Creek Outfitters in Montana do a good job. I and three buddies went with them in 2003. We killed a 5 point, 4 point, and spike. I was the one who didn't harvest an elk. I passed on the 4 point that my hunting partner took. All 4 of us killed Mulle Deer. Mine was the largest; an approx. 160 inch 4 point. The rest killed respectable 4 points as well. The outfitter will costapprox. $4000, the tag will be another grand. At least that is what it cost me.