Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

$ - to high for a hunt

Old 10-06-2002, 12:21 PM

Default $ - to high for a hunt

I would like to go on a moose hunt,I have checked into a couple of guide services and they quote around 3500-5000 per hunt,Now I have never used a guide service before and have never even hunted out of my own state If any one could shed some light on this or can recommend a guide I would greatly appreciate it thank's
Old 10-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: $ - to high for a hunt

Actually the numbers you quote are the middle of the road for a guided hunt.A hunt in alaska or northern B.C. will cost more than that.Of course the chance of killing a really big moose is much better in those areas.Most bargain basement hunts are not really bargains as game numbers are usually lower or trophy quality is not as good.There are exceptions but in most cases you get what you pay for in outfitters.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends what your after. If you looking to take a moose, I would head to Newfoundland. They have the highest concentration of moose anywhere, and a hunt would cost you in the $2,500 to $3,500 range. Not very large antlers though, relatively speaking. I would say a 40" bull is a good one from what I have seen. If you are looking for larger racks, head west. We have some nice moose in the northeast (VT, NH, and Maine) but drawing a tag is hard.

Good luck . . . Rob

Old 10-07-2002, 10:28 AM

My neighbor is a guide for an outfitter up north and his camp generally take 55-68 in racks for there clients. They only take 8-10 hunters a year and the cost starts at 8500 smackers each. For that price you are responsible for transportation to faibanks, and they'll get you the rest of the way. If you get the "North American Hunter" magazine his outfit was featured in there a couple of months ago. They dont have any guarantee as outfitters typically dont, but they have 100% successs rate for the last nine years now.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:58 PM

HI PAUL BEAR,

I HAVE A MOOSE HUNT BOOKED FOR NEXT FALL WITH "TROPHY HUNTERS ALBERTA", I READ HIS WEB SITE & SPOKE WITH HIM MANY TIMES, REALLY PROFESSIONAL TAKES THE TIME TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS AND IS VERY FLEXIBLE WITH HUNTS. GIVE HIM A CALL--------WEB SITE IS WWW.CHPS.COM/TROPHY HUNTERS

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-08-2002, 04:43 AM

Thank's to all who replied,And MAKOMAN i will contact the guide you are talking about.I would like to go next fall, it's been a hunting dream for far to long,thank's again