Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

another successfull year

Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 PM

Default another successfull year

only ran 20 yards after. Just an awsome feeling roars through your body when this happens. I love it.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Default RE: another successfull year

Mark,

Very nice bull. Can you elaborate a little on the story.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 PM

sure I could elaberate..
I've been archery Elk hunting this area since I was 12 years old, been tagging along with my dad since I was 10. I am now 30 years old and have a son of my own. I took him last year with me for 3 days and this year he came for 4 days. He's 9 years old. Well we hunted hard for the 4 days, walking all day long and hunting the tree stands in the evenings.
We seen 1 bull 15 yards away while stocking and 1 cow 25 yards from the tree stand. No shot in either case. Our last evening in the stand we heard a branch snap and my son said later that he had seen a very big 6X6 walk slowly away in the bush. He had to go home for school the next day so after taking him back I went to my stand for the evening....It takes over an hour to walk to my stand.
I called for 2 hours with not much action then suddenly I heard a small distinct growl that I have heard many times befor. I instantly new this was a bull and preseeded to cow call... he gave another small grunt about 5 min later. Now I tied into the cow call giving all the hyper calls etc that I know. He started growling more and then finaly let out a couple chuckels. This all took about 1/2 an hour. Now I heard him coming within 100 yards or so smashing the bush. soon I heard the bush 50 yards away crashing and out walks to my surprize ...a calfe?? What?? right behind it was the cow and I didn't know what to think. They both stood right under my tree, the calfe 5 yards and the cow 10 yards. I might add that any elk is a legal elk so this was very tempting at this point, However I knew the bull wasn't very far away so hoping I wouldn't get busted I gave a cow call. The cow and calfe instantly looked up at me...but the bull instantatly responded with a call and then showed his horns coming through the bush 50 yards away. I waited for him to come closer and when he was at 35 yards I gave a chirp, he stopped for a second and I plugged him right in the heart with my arrow. All three animals took off running except the bull only ran for around 20 yards or so.
I got back home the next day and showed my son what I had gotten...thinking he would be a little dissapointed that he wasn't there but all he said was "Thats awsome, I knew you would get him...I told you he was a nice 6X6". Now he can't wait till next year....and neither can I.

Mark
www.bigbearhunts.com

P.S. Oh ya,this elk was in the wild not on a ranch, shot in Manitoba....and...no...I am not an outfitter for elk, I just love hunting them with my son.
have a great year.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

great story marksman,

I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to see her first elk.
Have you scored that beast yet? Looks 350+
Happy hunting
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Really nice elk. Congrats!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on such a fine animal.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Job! Congrat's!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I can see some serious medium rares there - Hell Yes.

-Good job
Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

That's a DANDY bull----Conglads !! Life greats no better than hunting elk & with your family to boot !! CB