going to canada on a bear hunt next year,is it hard to go through customs , any info you guys or ladies can give me will be great[8D]" />

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

crossing the border

Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: crossing the border

I just got back a couple of weeks ago from Alberta on a Elk & Deer hunt with my father. We had no issue at all getting into Canada, but leaving was hell, over two & a half hours to get out of Canada... Make sure you have plenty of time when leaving & have your paper work filled out ahead of time. Also the prices are crazy up there, smokes are 73.00 a carton!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

13 years since a OUI can still be a problem. If the Customs Agent doesn't like the look of you, and does a check, the offense will show up and cause problems. If the offense is greater than 10 years old, they consider you "rehabilitated" and you have to sign some forms and pay a fee (I am not sure why, but I think it is like $150 US). As the timeframe becomes shorter, the fee goes WAY up, but you can still get in. Less than five years, I don't think you can get in. FWIW, I just finished last week getting the paperwork done with Customs for importing a semi from Ontario. I crossed the border on 05/21!?!?

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/practicalinfo/a/dui.htm

Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a kabin here in montana and one in alberta and cross the border quite frequent and one of the questions they will ask you is, " Have you ever been arrested"? NOT CONVICTED. Then depending on the agent, be prepared to be run through immagration. Get you paper work in order prior to the hunt going into canada and coming back into the states. There is a beef embargo on and bringing any type of meat products into the states as the U.S. confiscated my dog food that I bought in alberta. I'm not too sure what requirements are required for bringing game back but I would start generating the paper work now.
Archery equipment is no problem going into canada or coming back as I take mine up there almost every timeand shoot at the archery lanes up there. Bring a lot of $ as a case of budweiser cost $38.95 and a litre of Reg. gas went for a $1.05 last week. Good luck,

Bobby
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Just a few comments and a question for sdeshazo.

You said it was no sweat getting into Canada but 2 and a half hours getting out. It seems to me there is no exit from Canada but only an entry to the Us. It sounds like the Canadians held you up for 2 hours. Was the delay from Canadian or US Customs?
ps How did the hunt go?
Also it is worth knowing that US Customs also keeps Canadians with a DUI conviction out of the US also.
In 2007 a passport will be required to enter or re-enter the US. This applies to American citizens also. If you don't like the sound of thatis a good time to call your rep in Washington.
Happy Huntin and keep it fair chase
Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

The hunt went great (see below), I will return to Alberta. But yes it was the US Customs that held me up due to the deer meat & a gun having a shell in the magazine. Oopps!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info sdeshazo and your bucks a keeper for sure
happy huntin