Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT Flo. Orange Requirements

Old 10-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Default MT Flo. Orange Requirements

I was reading that MT requires you to wear 400 Sq. Inches of Flo. Orange above the waist. WHat would this consist of? A small game vest and a hat? Or a solid orange coat with no orange on the head? Just want to get a rough idea of what kind of coverage 400 Sq Inches really is. I like to wear the least amt of orange that is legal, unless the situation calls for more.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MT Flo. Orange Requirements

If you have one of them $1.99 orange vest sold in Walmart you are covered. There is no requirement for an orange hat. You don't have to look like a pumkin head to toe.I was looking for a pic but the only one I could find with orange was one of my daughter. The vest she is wearing is more that adequate.

Nemont
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 AM

yea a vest is plenty i was always told that just a vest doesnt add up to the 400 sqr. inches required but no game warden has ever given me trouble for just wearing a vest.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM

A vest should be far more than 400. width across shoulders is at least 15 inches. Length from shoulders to waist is probably at least 20. That's 600 square inches for front and back. Doesn't include either side. You should be good to go.

The 400 inches is probably specifically made to allow for simple front/back 3/4 length pullover type safety vests.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 AM

thanks for the info guys. I 'll just have my vest on then. Is this what a lot of the guys wear out that way?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:54 AM

I wear blaze orange coat and hat, or at least vest and hat. Why would I want to wear as little as possible? Blaze orange can save your life, why skimp on it? You think an elk is going to spot you if you have on too much orange? Nope, they spot movement, like all critters. I wear solid blaze orange too, not the camo stuff.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

some states do require you to wear a hat but not all of them. just some food for thought. you may want to check andmake sure this isn't the case.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:42 AM

ORIGINAL: muley69

I wear blaze orange coat and hat, or at least vest and hat. Why would I want to wear as little as possible? Blaze orange can save your life, why skimp on it? You think an elk is going to spot you if you have on too much orange? Nope, they spot movement, like all critters. I wear solid blaze orange too, not the camo stuff.
I always wear more orange if there are a number of hunters in an area around me, But i've read alot of books and magazines that suggest elk can't "see" orange, but that it can be noticed by them because your not as broken up while moving. this is just what i've read.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

some states do require you to wear a hat but not all of them. just some food for thought. you may want to check andmake sure this isn't the case.
Taken from MT FWP Site:

Firearm Hunters:
Any person hunting or accompanying a
hunter as an outfitter or guide must wear a minimum of 400
square inches of hunter orange (fluorescent) material above
the waist, visible at all times (see exception below).
Archery Hunters:
A licensed bowhunter pursuing deer, elk
and/or antelope during the
Archery Only Season is not
required to meet the hunter orange requirement even if there
is a concurrent firearm season in that hunting district or
portion of district. However, bowhunters hunting during any
portion of the general season or pursuing moose, sheep,
goat, black bear, and/or mountain lion during any hunting
season must always wear a minimum of 400 square inches
of hunter orange (fluorescent) above the waist, visible at all times.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

KA-POW, Most guys in Montana wear justa vest. On opening day I always wear a little extra orange. If you are going out opening day? I recommend wearing at least a vest & hat. Opening day can be a real zoo.

Good Luck,

Wolf Killer

Quick Reply: MT Flo. Orange Requirements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.