Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cow Elk III

Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Cow Elk III

Have any of you ever used decoys on elk? What kind of reults did you get? What season gun/bow? Did you use more than one, like they suggest?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cow Elk III

I've used them with less success than others. I've used the Rump--The Cow Elk--The Cow Elk-lll------To date I haven't fooled an elk with them yet!! Do they work? Sure they'll work!!

It's just that I've found with good calling and waiting in the same place long enough, interested elk will show up. I like it best when elk come in 10-20min after I've called looking for the elk that made the sounds. This is how we called in my sons bull this year, he took his elk at 14yds with a recurve. A decoy might have worked, but I didn't set it up even though I had it with me!! Go figure!!-------------------ElkNut1
Old 10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have used horses for decoys.They work very very good. As for the cow elkIII I have not seen them work real good so far.Most the elk I call in are looking and listening for movment not just a elk. I think movement is way better than a good pic of an elk.Tie the horse bake in the woods far enough the elk can not see it unless it walks right by you.Some times just the chewing is enough to get a bull to come to you.You may not even need to call :}
Old 10-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Really curius as to where elk decoys are legel for big game and how many places they are because in MT its really frowned upon.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

NO
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 AM

Never even crossed my mind about them being illegal in some states.Surely need tolook into that. thks
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

smokechaser
Is not right.It is legel to use a decoy in MT.You can use them for all big game.As for the decoys being frowned on in MT.One of the bigest decoy makers is in MONTANA.

Smoke call up fish and game. They will help you out.From what I know the only real restriction on calling big game in MT. is no electric calls.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

sorry my bad i looked into that after i posted that i dont know why i thought that. I know i read that somewhere once but i dont think it is illegal. sorry again. i might have been confusing it with baiting.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Sure am glad to hear that the decoy I just spent $100 bucks in is in fact legal. Have me sweatin' there for a good minute. LOL
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 PM

yea sorry bout that i was thinkin of baiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.