Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are your hunt killers

Old 10-09-2005, 10:33 PM

Default RE: What are your hunt killers

Rain, when there's just too much of it. I'm not talking aboutthe occaisional shower, but the bigger system, heavier stuff that hangs around for a few days. Ruins your visibility, muddies up the gear.

Finding out that a hunting buddy isn't on the same page after all. For some folks its more about drinking and camping, etc. By no means are those bad things, just different. Sometimes people surprise you, even when you thought you had a good read on them.

And perhaps the most irritating is finding someone who's maybe a "beginning intermediate", had some success but in a limited situation/area, who elevates themselves to the authority on the matter. Their way must bethe bestway kinda person, but without the real depth of experience to back it up. Had that once and it sucked a lot of funout of the whole trip.

After those live and learn experiences I came to the conclusion that I'd rather hunt with a small, simple camp with fewer known, good friends than an elaborate camp with more casual aquaintances, friends of friends, etc., even if it costs more.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

#1 - weather - be it wind, heavy moisture, too warm, etc it is something we can't control but is very much a factor in every hunt.

#2 - hunting partners. Finding outa guy or guys you invite into your circle are all talk and no action. Nothing worse than making the trek to your camp and come to find they are nothing like they pretended to be. In our camp you are useful only if you contribute to the group! We know not everybody is a great woodsman, shot, caller, etc but for god sakes meals, dishes, water, daily chores need to be done so pick one and get to it instead of standing their like a knob watching the vets make your hunt. You only get one chance to prove your worth in our camp, shooters are a dime a dozen we want partners!

#3 - unprepared. This encompasses everything from sight in, knowing your equipment, gear, conditioning, area knowledge, etc. My motto has always been hope for the best, prepare for the worst and expect something in the middle. Their is no excuse for coming unprepared, do your home work, pack more than you'll need & expect the unexpected.

#4 - Safety You must consider your safety as valuable as those around you, wheter in your party or not. Their is no room for error when it comes to being safe IMHO.

#5 - Slob Hunters I don't need to elobrate any further as we all know what this term infers.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 AM

Heavy continuous rain - depressing after a few days.

Very strong wind – worrying when tree limbs start coming down.

A hunting partner that insists on having his mobile phone turned on in the field. Why? [:@]

A hunting partner that fires a shot off just to stir up the game and see what is moving around.

A hunting partner who muddles and fluffs around taking forever to get organised to go out on a morning hunt.

A hunting partner that is not familiar with his gear, in particular, his rifle.

An inexperienced hunting partner that is a complete know-all on everything. This same person took a sloppy shot on a Sambar spiker, lost the animal and proceeded to blame the 7mm Rem Mag, which he borrowed, as "not powerful enough". [:@][:@]