Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are your hunt killers

Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM

Default RE: What are your hunt killers

1). My first and foremost fear while on a hunting trip? Running out of beer and good grub. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS know where the nearest quickmart is or if you are DEEEEP in the boonies, better clear out a BIG spot in someones truck for the beer and food. []

2). A whinyazzed spouse of a huntin buddy. NOTHING peeves me more (well ceptn runnin outta beer) than to be 3 days into a 5 day hunt out of state when a buddies wife calls (first mistake is leaving your cellphone on 24/7) and starts moanin and whinin and complainin and throwin a guilt trip on him so he feels "obligated" to load up and head home. That's why I ALWAYS take my truck and encourage others to take theres. Unless some nukes start mushroomin overhead, we are THERE for the duration and if need be maybe even an extra day or two. CONTROL YOUR WEMUNZ!!!

3). As mentioned in #2, cellphone usage. I carry one at all times but it is NOT turned on while hunting and ifa conversation is going to last over 2 minutes while I am in the woods or driving around the hunting land in the truck, I will ask them to call us back. NOTHING is more important at that moment than the hunt. They got 360 other days to talk too someone, why they gotta do it on THAT particular 5 day hunt? [:'(]

4). Partners who run late aka, DRAG AZZEZ. By the third morning alot of guys are either to hungover and/or tired so they drag around and oversleep and end up making me 5 minutes late too the hunt. Do it once, I'll have something to say, do it again... you can take YOUR own truck this morning. I'm goin well before "bright and early". If you can't play poker till 2 and still make a 4am wakeup or can't hold the nights alcohol, here's a quarter call someone who cares!

5). "Men" that are skeert of their guns and arrive in camp with them either not sighted in or they simply can't shoot straight. I carry alot of folks and set them in some of my prime stands and KNOW they will have a chance to kill deer, but I get FURIOUS when they blow their chance and miss a babypiss shot for xyz reason. Here's another quarter, call someone who REALLY cares! [:@]

Bout does it for me, the rest I'm pretty workable with!
RA
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Agrrrrrr,
Go Red
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Giardia, all others can be overcome, but that will keep you nailed to camp...............................
Old 10-06-2005, 09:53 AM

Sharing the woods with people who are more concerned with there beer supply than safety. Seriously I've seen camps where the inhabitants are slobering drunk for a week straight. I don't feel safe hunting around them. Don't get me wrong I drink beer same as the next guy. But, there is a time and a place for it.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:25 PM

1. Missing. I can't ever decide which is worse . . . . When I don't see anything I wish would get at least a miss. When I miss, I wish I had never seen anything.[:@]

Guess if I would just never miss I wouldn't have to choose.

2. Rifle hunters that herd up where the elk do. I hate 'em all. Why can't they hunt somewhere else?Don't they know I want one more than they do? What is wrong with those guys?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

From a guides aspect of hunt killers here it is and not for the weak of heart.

No.1 Is being so out of shape you can't even make it 400yds without dying in the field. ( Have to be able to get to the game)

#2 Bringing a brand new unfamiliar rifle that cost's morethan the hunt that the person hasn't fired a box of shells through.

#3 Unsighted rifles that gunsmith boresighted just before their hunt or a buddy sighted in for them.

#4 Scopes that have more gadget modes than a gps.

#5 Forgetting the guide told you to turn down your scope to lower power while hunting in the trees.

#6 having the focus ring on the scope set at long yardage while walking in the trees.
#7 using more than one type of ammo on a hunt (opps)
#8 Talking in a normal loud voice (Grrrrrrrrrr)
#9 Playing with the gps instead of having four sets of eyes looking for game.
#10 IF NOT THE BIGGEST HUNT KILLER OUT THERE> Losing self control not cycling a round into the chamber. Shooting at hair or somewhere other than the animal. And most important so excited it makes the situation not safe.

Mostly from a guides aspect besides not being in shape the most important boils down to shooting. The rest is usually being handled by the guide. Of all the hunters I have personally guided only a very small select number of them where actually what I would call seasoned killers. The man that can step of the horse or stop in mid stride and aim, relax and kill the animal with no secound thought of all the what if's in the field of hunting.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it some people feel the need to post the same question in multiple forums? I guess this has become my pet peeve. If you read the rules it's covered under item # 11.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

Why is it some people feel the need to post the same question in multiple forums? I guess this has become my pet peeve. If you read the rules it's covered under item # 11.
thndrchiken, are you tring to get points to be moderator? You got my vote,...right, if a post generates 2 pages of response then just sit back and read it andlearn to what is being replied.
To answer the orginal question the worst killers when I'm hunting depends on the location where I'm actually hunting as the conditions change from one location to another.I know my killers vary from eastern montana to here in the nw part of the state. If I am hunting around within 10 miles of my property my main concern is predators. Going in the bush solo 2 hours prior to daylight with griz sighn on the trees and stepping in bear crap kinda puckers up my arse up if you know what I mean.
Cats are abundant also as I know their looking over my sholder, but I'm not as concerned with them as I am a griz. Going in the bush with a bow, I relieze that I'm not on top of the food chain.
My numeral 2 killer would be heat. In triple digit temps I'm relautant to even shoot a trophy bull or buck under these conditions. Since I usually hunt solo the meat would be spoiled and I'm getting to the point I don't want to work that hard in killing myself in making a kill under these conditions, I'll take sub-zero temps any day.
Numero #3, would be getting the kill back to the truck as terrain and elements depending on the time of year vary, game cart ortobogon can be quite a chore to navagate over mountain goat country.
Numero #4, while bowhunting, ice is always a concern while in the bush. I don't want to use dry ice due to the potential dangers it has removing oxygen from the air.
numero #5, and maybe it should be number 1, but the wind is tough here. It changes direction every 15 minutes, and when that critter starts walking stiff legged, it knows somethings not right and the sound of a bowstring.... its gone.
Of all the killers,I guess the end of hunting season is maybe my worst, this is when I think of the, "would of's" and "could of's" and kick myself.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 PM

For me its wild/stray dogs!! I hunt a 330 acre piece of land and every morning you can hear dogs running wide open on a deer's trail.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Bob, not trying for any points, however when the same question is posted under several topics it's a real pain in the #$%* !! Apparrently the moderators aren't doing their jobs.

Quick Reply: What are your hunt killers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.