Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Burned out on Hunting.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Burned out on Hunting.

Wolfkiller,

I have seen this in my father who lost the need to chase animals days on end. Now he rides around enjoying the country and wildlife and if there happens to be a animal that appeals to him, he'll shoot it. More and more he is starting to hunt by himself without all the friends hanging around. Friends can put alot of pressure on a person having to make a kill to compete with the manhood complex of having to kill something. I understand where your coming from. I get disgusted with clients alot nowadays and bummed out on hunting for someonelse who may or may not be able to get the job done when the moment arises. But a person always comes back to what they fell in love with in the beginning.

I say take a break like you said and maybe try something different than the standard wolfkiller hunt when your ready to try again. From the sound of things you are a good elk hunter that is sought after by friends and family to hunt with because you probally know more about the hunting aspect of things than anyone around you and thats why they want you along. If you did happen to call it quits for good. I would ask a favor that you become a mentor to the non experienced hunters and bring your expertise into the woods through other people. Our hunting heritidge needs people like you to be a mentor. Maybe its time to take the video camera instead of the rifle. I started bowhunting elk for a couple years even as a guide I have learned so much about elk I never knew I just can't believe it. The day I learn everything about elk is the day they bury me. But thats me. Your a mentor to your community and the hunting world needs people like you out there teaching the way. Take your time and enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

I was in the same boat as you, Took up traditional archery and started hunting with a recurve . I also took my 13 year old son on his first archery elk hunt this year that put a spark back into it for me . good luck
Old 10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf,
I know what you mean,I used to realy enjoy taking other pepole out and get their animals,but as pepole started to sucseed in taking game animals their freind wanted to come out(exspecialy elk) and befor to long I was using up alot of vacation to take pepole out hunting and and doing their work.Last year alone I took out 21 pepole and that was just rifle deer and elk.That is just about one person for every day of the season.I was getting bitter at the thought of hunting season and the on slot of pepole calling.I was not even getting a chane to hunt with my kidds,or taking my wife out for her deer or goat.This has gone on for 5 years like this,and this year I just told everyone thats enough.I want my time to pursue my animals and hunt the way I wan't to.As you know I took up bow hunting this year and let me tell you I have had a ball,I hunt by myself or with a couple of freinds.I have had 2-6 point bulls with in bow range and no shot.Yesterday I had the most enjoyable expeience,I hunted some new areas yesterday.I seen some elk and I got close thinking I could call a small bull or a cow in to shoot.Well low and behold I called in the hole dam herd.I had a nice 6x6 at 22 paces stairing me down,I had cows behind me and a little bull in the trees and all I can remember is just saying to myself ( God please hear me now,please,please don't let the wind change).It was the most enjoyble hunting outting I have had in a very,very long time.I didn't get a shot,I didn't even get to draw my bow(rookie bow hunter mistake).But I can tell you it was fun and it has started a little fire back in to my hunting soul.
So you take sometime and you find out what is best for YOU.If it is for you,you will know.
Best of luck in the future WK,I have enjoyed you comentaires and your knowlege.
Take care
BJ
Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Take some time, it will come back. I'd tell everybody that I was done holding there hands. They needed to start fending for themselves.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

This is just my opinion, but I think your screen handle says it all. I live here in MT and know for a fact that there is an entire subset of people in this state who've let wolves get so far into their heads that it short circuits their ability to enjoy anything in the outdoors. My stepdad is one.

I know another life-long elk hunter who came out of a great area two years ago convinced that all the elk had been wiped out by wolves and he was just done hunting. I happen to hunt the exact same country, and yeah there are wolves, but there's also elk everywhere, more every year.

If that's your deal, get over it man! Cut yourself away from the cafe/bar set of outdoor experts with beer bellies who can sit around for hours inventing knew reasons why we're not going to have any elk in five years. That mindset will pollute your brain.

It's really no different from the tinfoil-hat crowd who are convinced that aliens walk among us, abduct us for scientific experiments, etc., etc.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:00 PM

I guess the final word will be when WK responds; however, from what I've come to know about him, I think you are way, way out in left field on that last one.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

This is just my opinion, but I think your screen handle says it all. I live here in MT and know for a fact that there is an entire subset of people in this state who've let wolves get so far into their heads that it short circuits their ability to enjoy anything in the outdoors. My stepdad is one.

I know another life-long elk hunter who came out of a great area two years ago convinced that all the elk had been wiped out by wolves and he was just done hunting. I happen to hunt the exact same country, and yeah there are wolves, but there's also elk everywhere, more every year.

If that's your deal, get over it man! Cut yourself away from the cafe/bar set of outdoor experts with beer bellies who can sit around for hours inventing knew reasons why we're not going to have any elk in five years. That mindset will pollute your brain.

It's really no different from the tinfoil-hat crowd who are convinced that aliens walk among us, abduct us for scientific experiments, etc., etc.
Have you seen the elk depletion statistics in the great Gardiner area? Wolves are everywhere out here, and the reek havoc on the local elk populations. Elk do and will leave an area infested with wolves. To equate concerns over wolf populations and there effect on elk herds with beer bellies etc is frankly ignorant. Do you prefer to wait until the wolves have decimated the elk populations before your concerned, or do you think it prudent to voice concerns prior too? Cmon dirt, I've enjoyed many of your post in the past, but this one makes no sense.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am burned out on hunting because too many people demand too much of my time & attention during hunting season.
I had many great years of hunting with a rifle. After a few great yearspeople start asking to hunt with you. I had fun fora few years leading people by the hand.
I took up archery hunting to get away from this crowd. Guess what? The same "cling-on"people that I tried to get away from took up archery.

I guess I will just have to be blunt. I will tell everyonein the "cling-on" crowd to take a hike. Time for me to hunt for my freezer.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am ready to Quit also after 50 years.Just not the same anymore with all the cevelopment and so called management
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolfkiller, do you think I can go with you .

Bobby

Quick Reply: Burned out on Hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.