Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Elk Calling Tips

Old 09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Elk Calling Tips

I have 2 Elknut videos/CD,a Rocky Jacobsen Tape and a Jim Horn CD.

So I can hearhow the grunts & chuckles are supposed to sound. But when I try to do it it is not even in the ball park!!

I am using a Primos Terminator. Any tips on how to make those sounds?

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Need Elk Calling Tips

You can bugle just fine on a Terminator with the blue reeds providedif you practice, practice, practice. To get a chuckle you will need to take the blue reed off and use a diaphram/mouth call. If you don't already have some I would recommend buying 3 or more and try and find one you can make work. The raspy ones ussually work better than the high pitched ones. If you know how to blow a duck call it is the same concept. You blow it from deep inside your gut. Try sayind the word "jut" or "gut". It is great that you are trying to do the right thing. So, so many people blow on a termanator or like call get a good bugle but know chuckle at the end. I would never go into the elk woods without a chuckle. I have had many bulls respond to my chuckle alone while other hunter complained "the elk aren't responding".NO, they just don't respond to hunters, but when you chuckle they KNOW it's another bull. Raking trees also does just as much. A bugle with a chuckle is a very powerful weapon. If you practice you should be able to make the bugle and the chuckles with the diaphams and your terminator. You can also make a good spike squeal by doing the same things exept not blowing into the tube, just with the diaphram alone.Best of luck.Keepworking, it will come if yourdetermined.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost agree 100% with cravin!!! You would be better off using a diaphram type mouth call. I would recommend the Primos Ivory Plate series calls. They sound great and are easy easy to use... However, with your bugle when you try to grunt or chuckle try to actually make the sound with your own voice. It works great! The bulls go nuts when I do it! A little practice and you will have it in no time!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips, I do have some reed s, so I will be trying that in the next few minutes!

Thanks a lot!!!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I first hooked up withy my hunting partner he suggested i get the terminator bugle. He can reallywork that thingand whenI tried it seemed pretty easy to use...of course I only tried bugling with it. Any way I bought it but never could get the chuck to sound quite right. So I have now gone back to a mouth diapharam with the terminator tube. I use the primos imperial double palate mostly but also like the primos ivory for cow calling and spike squeals. They take a lot of pratice and in my caseI needed to trim the rear portion slightly to get rid of the gag reflex when I chucked. I have heard many instructional calling people refer to it as a musical instrument and you state "wouldn't expect to pick up a sax and play like Kenny G nor would you expect tolet it sit in the cornerfor most of the year and then play a concert in a week or 2". It takes practice: placement, exercise of the vocals/feeling and more practice to get the call working properly. I no longer just set my calls aside till the next summer,I make a habit of practicing through the off season to ensureI keep relatively tuned in with theaspects and it has made a big difference. A great way is pop a mouth call in while travelling to work in the vehicle, watching a game on TV or reading the paper/book.

Best of luck

Old 09-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I bought Elknuts video/cd #1 earlier this year and have been practicing. I had a hoochie mama call, but after watching/listening to elknut, I bought a diaphram call and it's made a huge difference. Since I will be hunting 2nd season here in CO, I've only been practicing my social/locator cow calls. As skeeter suggests, I keep the call in the truck and practice to and from work. It's a 1/2 commute for me, so I get in a good amount of practice. Hopefully it all pays off. Good luck to you!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks again to everyone!!!

I have the Primos Select 4 Diaphragm calls. ( Imperial, Ivory, Hyper and Sentry) And I have done aquite a bit of practicing with them before I got the Terminator. I can tell (by listning, LOL) that I need more practice. But I couldn't even practice the "Grunts" or "Chuckles" and I couldn't even get the right low note to began a simple bugle. I just didn't know to use my voice a little bit. That was not explained on any of the videos, or else I missed it.

I really appreciate the help you folks have given me, I can now make ( sort of) the right sound to start the call. (sometimes, not every time, NEED MORE PRACTICE!)

Going to Colorado Oct. 11. I have been Elk hunting 9 times and only saw 1 Elk. This will be the first time I have tried to call!!! Probably won't use anything except cow calls!
OldGuy
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

OG, to get the growl to start the bugle just say GRRRRR or URRRRR then go into the bugle notes. It should come from the throat to get that growling/roaring sound. With a mouth call try sayin URRREEEEEeeeee, that should get you a feel of what is required...don't blow to hard. You want to increase air and tongue pressure when your climbing notes..so it should be low to high and then you can end with the same low or growl, if you like.

Keep at and best of luck on your hunt!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

OK, I will try that Thanks Skeeter !!!