Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are black bears color blind?

Old 09-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Are black bears color blind?

I was wondering if black bears are color blind like deer, so they wouldnt notice hunter orange clothing.......got a hunt on state land commin up soon and I wanna be safe
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are black bears color blind?

don't know about bears, but some recent studies have suggested dear arent nearly as color blind as some have led us to believe
Old 09-19-2005, 12:34 PM

I believe that bears have a fairly wide spectrum of colors that they can see, but I don't believe that it is as big a factor as everyone believes. I believe that being scent free and not moving are much more important when bear hunting. I just got back from my bear hunt and it seems that they always know that you are there. They assess the danger level and just go about their business. I know hunters that said that the bear looked right at them, even so far as leaning on the tree that they were in to get a better look, sniffed around, and then went right in to the bait.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that scent and movement are a far greater factor than color.If legal, one might consider a camoflage/orange. The orange will stick out, but as long as there is not movement, the animal is unlikely to spook.The camo will help break up the shape of the vest/coat/pants/whatever.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Spike

Bears can see only up to about twenty feet, andeven then itis not what we would call clear/well focused.They rely on smell and hearing mostly, along with the fact that they aren't too concerned about getting into a fight, to keep them safe.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Just going based off an article I'd read recently where some guys in white coats actually did some testing on a number of animals to see what their vision was most likely like. Deer had rods? or light receptors that apparently see some color pretty well. The two color spectrumsI remember specifically were Blue and Green. They specifically mentioned blue jeans as something that'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Of course now that I'd like to be able to refind that thing so I could reference it...... (brother wanted to read it as well - pretty long article with some pretty detailed data - they tried to relate the different color spectrums to a human eye along with different qualities such as light gathering, etc.) Good article if they actually know what they're doing. If they don't they certainly were able to make it sound like they did.

Just got into bear hunting for the first time so I've been trying to remember what was said about them. I believe they were supposed to have a pretty full range of colors they could see, but like stated I do rember that their eye sight wasn't supposed to be very good - nearsighted.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Well now who done taught bears colors ?

Must be the same guy that goes around the woods putting varnish on deer antlers,LMAO
Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 AM

like others have said it is your scent you have to worry about the most. I have been in a tree and the bear walked underneath me and stoped at the bottom of my tree and look straight up at me. He knew I was there. It just depends on how hungry and brave they are. I don't think it would have mattered what I was wearing. I think they get used to you scent from when you bait (if you can). I have also heard that they can't see up very high too. It must have to do with their neck not allowing them to look up. now if they stand on their back legs, I think they can see higher. I saw this happen a few times this year. They can also get a better sniff when they stand up too.