Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana - Anyone understand special deer tag?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Montana - Anyone understand special deer tag?

I have a special draw mulie buck tag for the Breaks - 652-20. It says I can only hunt mulie bucks in that area, meaning I give up my Deer A for mulie bucks anywhere else.BareBackJack,you advised me that I need to call FWP to validate, but there are no such instructions on the tag or in the regs. I will call Monday anyway, hope it's not too late if in fact it is necessary.

What I am curious about is how they enforce this. Since I don't surrender my Deer A (it's still good for whitetail), how would the game checkin another area know I had the 652 tag if I wheeled through with another mulie? I have no intention of breaking the rules now that I have the tag, but they must get a lot of violators if it's just on thehonor system.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Montana - Anyone understand special deer tag?

As a holder of 652-20 tag you can only hunt muleys there. As with anything there is a good bit of self regualtion in with this tag. I do not ever recall having to validate the tag with the MTFWP. I would say though that if you get checked with in an area outside of 652 where mule deer are prevalent and whitetail hunting is not generally considered you will be in trouble.

In addition with your ALS number the FWP can check on what tags you have purchased and permits you have drawn almost immediately.

As an aside I live 17 miles from where the northern boundary of 652 begins and have saw some nice big boys out there. Be patient and don't get an itchy trigger finger.

Nemont
Old 09-11-2005, 08:18 AM

Default RE: Montana - Anyone understand special deer tag?

Thanks very much Nemont. I might bug you for a bit more info on the area, if I may be so forward. I have never been up there.

Now you've got me anticipating!!