Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Missed a spike

Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default Missed a spike

I was up elk hunting yesterday after class. I got to my area two hours before sunset. I went right to the wallows in the bottom of this draw that i had found two weeks before season started. I was sitting there for almost a hour when i spotted a spike 250 yards down the drainage. I stalked to 40 yards of him. the wind swirled and he winded me and started going up the hillside above me. I repositioned and he walked into a clearing 55 yards above me. I mewed again and he stoppped broadside at 55 yards. I was already at full draw with a clear broadside shot. I had my 50 yard pin in the middle of his shoulder and and squezzed my release. The thud i heard sounded great and the pins looked perfect placed in my memory. I was gettin dark so i headed back to my car to get a flashlight. I forgot the flashlight at home so i drove back home and got a cart, some rope, my brother, a few flashlights, and two more knifes. When we got back to the site of the shot we searched for my arrow and blood for over an hour. Then at 12:40 am my brother found my arrow stuck in the base of a bush, COMPLETELY clean. Apparently i barely shot under the bulls belly and the thud was from my arrow hitting wood. I stilll can't believe i missed. The only good news is that i was a clean miss and i get to take off work tomorrow and go hunting tomorrow and all this weekend.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Default RE: Missed a spike

Its too bad that you missed and it is good that you get to try to redeem your self.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Hey it sucks that you missed, but if your going again this weekend you got another shot. You never know maybe you'll see something even bigger this time. I missed a real big doe while deer hunting once, if I had gotten it I wouldnt have gone back up the next weekend, but since I missed it I went up and shot a big 4-pointer......you never know. Goodluck.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Didn't think you could shoot a spike elk better check regs.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Isn't 55 yards a little far to be shooting your bow? I'm no bow expert, but I would think it would be pretty hard!