Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Judging Black Bears

Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Judging Black Bears

what is the best way to judge black bears?? i'm talking age, sex, weight, and everything like that. i may be going black bear hunting but i don't know how to judge a black bear. as far as i know they don't have large pieces of bone sticking out of there heads i've heard different stuff concerning the ear size, leg length, and all of that and all help would be useful. assuming i get to go.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Default RE: Judging Black Bears

If the bears ears appear large compared to it's head and there is very little space between the ears, it is a little bear. A small bears head also looks kind of triangle shaped. A big bear will have small ears compared to the rest of his head and his head will appear round.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks alaska. i finally checked it only and found a bunch of stuff on the NAHC sight and a couple others.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM

i use the ears if a bear looks like he's wearin mickey mouse ears leave him up the tree.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:02 PM

Here are a couple of things I have picked up on judging bears size.

1. If the bears ears look small compared to his head, there is a good chance that he is a big bear.

2. If the bears head looks small compared to his body, chances are that he is a giant bear.

3. If the bears belly is very close to the ground then he is probably a heavy bear.

4. If the bears teeth are worn to nubs, and you can tell because he stood on his back feet and looked you in the eye while you were in a 12 foot stand, he is a BIG BEAR! SHOOT FAST!!!! SHOOT FAST!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 AM

I agree with everyting eveyone has said thus far. The ears are the major thing to look for when hunting or judging a bear.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Find a track and measure the length of the large pad...add one inch...and that is what his hide will square out to in feet.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade
4. If the bears teeth are worn to nubs, and you can tell because he stood on his back feet and looked you in the eye while you were in a 12 foot stand, he is a BIG BEAR! SHOOT FAST!!!! SHOOT FAST!!!!
lol!!!! good advice!!! how big as in hide length is an average black bear??
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Average is like normal...it is in the eye of the beholder. Around here, E. WA, a 2 year old will go about 5' square (mine did two years ago) I have seen one track that measured 6" for a 7' bear but I think that is unusual and not the average. I would venture to say 5'-6' square is average here.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

alright well what would be normal for north western north carolina.

Quick Reply: Judging Black Bears

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.