Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Meat & Airlines

Old 09-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Spike

Default Meat & Airlines

Guys,
I will be hunting elkin Colorado next week with a ML. I have killed elk before and have always Chunked meat out and brought it back in coolers or meat boxes in a pickup or trailer. This year I will be flying out and back. I would like some input from past experience on the best ways to transport meat on the airplane. I will be flying from the east coast.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:12 AM

Default RE: Meat & Airlines

I got some styrowhole salmon shipping boxes with cardboard around them. They will hold about 70 lbs or so. I plan on bringing it back on the plane with me as checked baggage.This will cost less than trying to ship it UPS or FedEx.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Did the same hunt as you last year,muzzelloader elk in Co. Flew from Rochester NY to Denver.Ended up shipping my hunting gear(everything but firearms)back UPS in a large plastic tote.Had an insullated carry on freezer bag I purchased at Sam's Club which I fit about 50 lbs. of meat in,and then bought a cooler and packed it with meat,about 70lbs.Check with your airline as to weight restrictions.I paid an extra $25 charge for being over the weight limit but it was worth the extra charge to bring back more meat.I was able to get over 120 lbs. of prime cuts home for the cost of shipping my gear about $60 and the $25 dollar airline charge.I donated the remaining meat mostly burger to the needy.Good luck and have a safe,fun hunt!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Spike

to: dvdegeorge and others,
Did you have your meat frozen to start the trip home? Did you have any regular ice or "dry ice" or anything in your containers to keep it cold or frozen during the trip. What was the condition of the meat when you returned home.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Yes,meat was frozen solid and still frozen on arrival home.I didn't use any ice just packed frozen meat tight in coolers.You can also use styrofoam packing peanuts if its not a tight fit.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Most airlines will not allow dry ice and it must be leak proof bags in case the cooler cracks, you know how gentle they are with your luggage. You should call ahead and ask about it being frozen, I don't know why but they gave me a hard timewhen I brought back fish from Florida to Co and they x-rayed the fish. Our meat processor here in CO has real competitive shipping when he's done processing so you might want to check prices of processors where your hunting.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 PM

I've transported frozen meat and fish many times. If it's frozen and packed tight in either an insulated box (available at fish processors, etc.), or a sealed cooler, it will stay frozen solid for at least 24 hours, in my experience. Also, if it's delayed you'll find it will last a lot longer than that and any thawing will be slight thawing on the edges and it will be plenty cool so it won't spoil for a good long time. I just re-freeze it and frankly, never notice any decrease in quality.

The most efficient way to ship is in insulated boxes. Either buy them or make them. I've done both many times. We often just cut up dense styrofoam with a hand saw and make a styrofoambox within a cardboard box. Like I said, meat and fish processors also sell ready made boxes with certain capaciites (e.g. 20, 50, etc. lbs). Coolers also workexcellent, but the cooler is usually heavier than the insulatedbox and therefore won't allow as much meat net weight. The good quality coolers will keep it frozen for a LONG time though.

Most efficient way to carry on airline is to make two 100 lb. packages (strap/tape two 50's together to make a 100 if necessary) and check them as baggage. You will pay overweight charge, but it is cheaper than excess baggage. For example the following is from experience with NW Airlines last week, but others may be different - check.With NW,each checked bag more than two is $70 or $80 (can't remember exactly). Therefore four 50 lb boxes (two allowed, two exess) willcost you $140 - $160 exess charge. On the other hand, they onlycharge $50 each for the two allowed bags if they are overweight (moer than 50 lbs), with a cut-off at 100 lbs.Two 100 lb. packages will cost you $100 totalfor overweight. If you have other stuff, try to mail it USPS or UPS ground so you can check as much meat as possible.

You can also carry quite a bit of meat in a normal, large carry on. And, although you want to make sure it's in leak proof bags in case it thaws a little, you don't have to insulate nearly as much because it won't leave your posession and you can be confident of getting it back in the freezer asap. I often carry as much as 30 or 40 lbs of meat orsalmonin an allowable carryon. Double bag in heavy garbage bags, pack around it with clothes to insulate.

Good luck!