Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how many bullets?

Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default how many bullets?

For a week big game hunt with the prospects of harvesting two caribou, how many bullets would you bring?

I was thinking a box of 20 would be MORE than enough, but a friend of mine said I should bring 40. Do you see any reason to bring this many? I'm thinking 2-4 to confirm sighting + 2-4 for harvesting two caribou... that makes max 8 bullets... 20 is 2.5 times that. I'm even thinking of shaving off from that.

The reason I'm asking is I have a weight limit of 65 lbs for everything going in, so every pound counts.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many bullets?

that depends on your confidence in your ability to hit your target 100% of the time in any conditions.

You'd feel pretty stupid if you ran out of bullets back in there.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed, this was a really stupid question... Tell you what. If it takes me more than 20 bullets to harvest two animals, I don't deserve them in the first place.

Apologies for wasting your time... I only hope you got a laugh out of it.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM
DM

20 rounds of "ammo" sounds about right to me, if 2 caribou is all you will be hunting.

On longer hunts itake 25 for my rifle, and about 40 to 50 for my 44 mag., but theseare on fly in hunts that could be extended for weeks (?) because of weather.

Drilling Man
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 PM

Id say about 20-25 shoud suffice.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mustad,
2 boxes should be minimum IMHO,you are forgetting that you should spend alittle time checking your rifles zero when get to your destination.I always pack 25 rounds with me and another box at camp.Don't wanna be 5 miles from camp and only 2 bullets and a droped gun,or worse lost.Those extra 10 bullets can save your life.
BBJ
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Mustad,
2 boxes should be minimum IMHO,you are forgetting that you should spend alittle time checking your rifles zero when get to your destination..
BBJ
No he isn't forgetting. He said "2-4+ to confrim sighting".
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Mustad,
2 boxes should be minimum IMHO,you are forgetting that you should spend alittle time checking your rifles zero when get to your destination.I always pack 25 rounds with me and another box at camp.Don't wanna be 5 miles from camp and only 2 bullets and a droped gun,or worse lost.Those extra 10 bullets can save your life.
BBJ
i would probably bring the extra box just in case. you never know what might happen and you may be sorry that you didn't bring extra.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

box of 20 for the hunt you might have to put 3-5 into a couple of bear you will need to sight in after the travelling thats 6 more. You should come home with 18 bullets if all goes well. No bear , boresight at the outfitters place, 2 well placed shots into two huge double shovelled bulls
So lets say 2 bullets is all you need..You dont agree...do you???
Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 PM

Box of twenty will be enough to kill plenty of game but what if something happens and you need to signal for help twenty will run out fairly quick better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: how many bullets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.