Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CWD? What effect does it have on you?

Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CWD? What effect does it have on you?

I was just looking in the Colorado application booklet (didn't apply for CO, since I drew an elk tag here), and noticed there are a lot of areas that are listed as CWD units.

So, I ask...

How many people hunt CWD units?

How many people have killed an animal that came back tested CWD positive?

Did you eat the meat prior to this knowledge, and continue to eat it, or did you wait until the results came back and toss the meat out?

Do you fell eating meat from an animal that is CWD positive will have a negative effect on your health?

These are just some thoughts that have come to my mind, and seems to be a disease that is spreading the way of Nevada. I don't think it will really take hold here too well because of the low density of animals and the dry ground conditions we typically have. But I am prepared to accept the fact that many of my favorite hunting areas may, in time, become "CWD units."

Would like to know what everyone's course of action has been/will be.

I doubt I would worry about it, as there have been no reports of CWD being transmitted to people from animals (or Mad Cow, or the other form found in pigs.)

So, what are everyone else's thoughts on the subject?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: CWD? What effect does it have on you?

I have and do hunt in CWD units but have never given it a second thought. I have never shot a deer or elk that I though might have CWD so I have never had one tested.

From what I have heard CWD infected animals do not transmit the disease to humans through eating of the meat. The experts do caution not to cut into the brain or into the spinal cord though.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM

I have taken 3 elk in CWD units in CO and will hunt in one this year, and hopefully kill another. I have never had one tested, and don't really give it much thought. If testing were mandatory, I would have it tested. I bone the elk out where they fall (have always carried the meat out on my back), so I avoid the lympth glands, don't get near brain tissue, and don't cut the spinal cord. I just don't worry about it.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 PM
usa
Fork Horn

I've taken 2 deer and 1 elk in cwd areas, ate them and never gave it a thought !
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 PM

i have hunted and taken an elk in a cwd area. it was not tested being it was a yealing calf.[:@] i wish it was a little bigger, just not much steaks, but oh tender!