Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what do u do when this happens

Old 08-21-2005, 11:25 AM

Default what do u do when this happens

i recently shot at a bear that i thought i hit but i guess not cause we couldnt find any sign of blood or any sign of him . we looked for over an hour what else are u supposed to do when u think u hit a bear but cant find him?
Old 08-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do u do when this happens

Bears are not heavy bleeders like deer or elk. The bear that I killed this year had very, very little blood on the ground. I was able to find it by looking for scuffs on the ground, layed over weeds etc. If you had a good hit, it should not be far. I would keep looking. Did the bear show signs of being hit or not. Was this a rifle or a bow
Old 08-21-2005, 01:10 PM

If you have access to a good dog then I would go back with the dog and try to have him track it down. Many people say that you should aim for the vitals when hunting game like bear, but another school of thought is to try to break that shoulder and destroy his ability to scurry off. Then you can put a finishing shot in him after he has been anchored.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:51 PM

i was using a 7 mm rem mag after i shot he went on his hind legs then bolted of in the opposite direction he was facing then he turned 180 degrees again and headed for the timber .
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 PM

Sounds like you confused him, Im sure hes not far from where you last saw him, probably in a thicket.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sure sounds like you hit him, bears vitals sit a little further foward that do elk and deer. I shoot mine wih a bow and aim for the shoulder area. I try to crowd the scapula. I am shooting enough KE with a coc head that if I hit the scapula I will blow right through. A bears hide is very dense and will absorb alot of blood before dripping off. Also, the fat under the skin will work great to plug the hole. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but I would have looked alot longer than an hour if I beleived that I had ahit.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM

i would have looked longer if there was more light left
Old 08-21-2005, 08:18 PM

Its ok mooseslayer well get em next year...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

If you have access to a good dog then I would go back with the dog and try to have him track it down. Many people say that you should aim for the vitals when hunting game like bear, but another school of thought is to try to break that shoulder and destroy his ability to scurry off. Then you can put a finishing shot in him after he has been anchored.
I for one, believe in this theory whole heartedly. I always try to break at least one shoulder if not both whenever possible. For that Reason I personally prefer a slightly quartering shot. If I have my choice I would choose a quartering away shot. I can shoot through the vitals and break the offside shoulder. But, I carry enough gun that if a quartering to me shot presents itself I can confidently bust the point of the near shoulder and my bullet will continue through the vitals. If presented a broadside shot I take the generic double lung point of aim. Then I try to quickly follow up with a shot that will break bone to slow the retreat.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tracked one at night that wasn't bleeding at all. I just thought about what an injured would do in that terrain/situation and I found him only about 150 yards away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.