Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting different states

Old 08-17-2005, 04:44 PM

Default hunting different states

Just a question, how many would be in favor of only being able to hunt your home state? It wouldn't bother me if Montana yanked all the non-res tags! I'd probably have to start paying sales tax, and higher property tax, but it would clean out the Breaks!!Before you rip my head off, its just a question.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Default RE: hunting different states

Well, I'd be against it. It brings in too many needed funds for wildlife projects. Not to mention that I (living in the eastern part of the U.S.A.) could not hunt the 1 animal that I love to hunt more than any other, Elk. There is no elk hunting in my state.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldn't agree with it. i live in florida but i do pretty much all of my hunting other than turkey and hog hunting in ky. i want to hunt other things than whitetails, hogs, and turkey. so therefore i would have to go to another state which has animals such as elk, moose, bear, pronghorn, caribou, and muleys.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 PM

It would really piss me off if I was forced to hunt only Utah. I'm "forced" to live here because of my wife, yet I hunt Wyoming, Idaho and Utah (in that order of preference). I grew up in Wyoming and I'm willing to pay the non-res fees to go back to hunt the land I know and grew up on. If they took that away from me, well, let's hope I never have to even worry about that! [:@]
Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Montana so it would not bother me either.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

id hate that.

i love to travel to hunt. i live in wyoming, so i guess if that came to pass i wouldnt be too screwed, but i like my traveling way too much

Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Wyoming as well, so no loss for me and less non resident hunters would decrease pressure, however.... the non resident hunters pay the lion's share of our game and fish budget, and I'd like the opportunity--if I wanted--to hunt another state as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:44 AM

I wouldn't care for it! I live in New York and while there are long seasons and a number of game animals to hunt.The quality of hunting is not what it is in many other states.I hunt in Idaho every year (unguided) and would not want to have that taken away from me!
I do believe though that a resident should not have to draw for a tag in there own state if non residents are also allowed to hunt that same game animal.I know there are management considerations there though.What I mean is that I don't believe a non resident should get a tag if residents are being excluded from getting that same tag.
Those of you that live in exceptional hunting states are incredibly fortunate!Yes I know any of us can pick up and move but that is much easier said then done,because of family considerations and business considerations.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

As a outfitter most of our clients are non-residents. But as a resident I would say okay but would have to give up outfitting. But the biggest problem there is places where even the residents can draw tags in there own states. I live in colorado while we may be not the best bull elk state they say phoooeeey on that, but anyway we have to keep this state open to non resident hunters so they also have a place to hunt elk. But I do believe this before a non resident gets a tag a resident should have first go. You can take all them trophy draw units and make it non resident elk hunting period wouldn't bother me. But for a person that lives in a state should get to go hunt it before someone thousands of miles away. But in all fairness we could keep it 50/50 draw and let the winners hunt. In the end with america's population growth the animals are going to lose and lose bad. And only the rich will hunt legal. I'm sad.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just started hunting other states a couple of years back. There is some good hunting here in MA, but not like many other areas. Being located in Berkshire County, I am a 20 minute ride to the NY border and 1/2 hour to CT. I hunt in CT, NY, & MA. Last year I took a trip out to IL. I was not succesful in harvesting any giant bucks, but did take 2 does w/ the bow. After seeing that country and the deer density there, I am definately going to be taking more trips out that way!

Quick Reply: hunting different states

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.