Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana's biggest bulls

Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Montana's biggest bulls

I'm with Wolf Killer, no big bulls here, hell noelk here period, wolves got em all, try Kalifornia.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:20 AM

I contacted the biologist up in Kalispell and was informed that the Bob holds a significant number of 51/2 year old and older bulls. Obviously, they get that old there because of the remote nature of the country. This has to be one of Montana's big bull areas.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM

The BOB holds some magnificent bulls and some gigantic Grizzlies as well. It is some of the hardest hunting you will ever do. If you are going to hunt the BOB then be prepared and hire an outstanding outfitter who will pack in all the gear you need to hunt that area and get you as remote as possible. If you are a solitary hunter and do not want him telling you where to go, tell him you are bringing him along for bear protection and communicate to him what your plans are. Hunting the BOB in Archery season in the rut is amazing, and if you are planning on going in for rifle bring some great thermal underwear and plan on some really deep snow. Last year there was close to 5 feet in the some areas of the BOB by the opening day.

Also check out the Bitteroot/Selway and the Breaks are phenomenal. If you are looking for a great bull expect to earn it.

BTW... The comment about Chuck Adams is hogwash!!! He hunts public land for the Elk he gets and all of it is FAIR CHASE!!! He works harder then most and is willing to put in the time to earn his trophies.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:43 AM

When I originally asked this question I had already scheduled a guided hunt in the Bob. I was trying to gain prospective from people who may have already hunted the area. Obviously, elk as well as other game animals have to survive long enough to grow to trophy size. I wanted verification on the numbers of bigger bulls I might encounter while back there.
In the past, hunting on public land, the first legal bull I encountered had a serious problem on their hooves. However, after speaking to the biologist and getting several public and private posts on the subject I'm confident I can sit on a big one for a few days. Around day five I may start to get anxious.
I know its going to be a hard hunt but I've been in the gym working on my legs and doing cardio work. I can go pretty much full-tilt for 45 minutes with my heart rate up around 140. Not bad for an old fat guy. I might be albe to get back in my BDU's in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 AM

slow, are you doing the early rifle backcountry (sept 15). I've never done it for lack of being a poor college student w/ no horses and being into bowhunting, but if so your going to be going once the rut is hitting so your chances are going to improve ten fold. Only draw back i've heard is the number of people going in is pretty high, so the number of hunters 20+ miles in is now getting pretty bad. One guy I know that does it said something like 100 horse trailers at the trail head they went in. Thing is they're still killing big bulls (300+) a lot of the time which those guys hunting outta their trucks just aren't doing. In any case enjoy our state and let us know how the hunt goes.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

CTOGuide

You make it sound like there is no way to hunt the bob with out a guide.I was a flat lander from KS. I had no problems at all hunting the bob.I have not lived here long but have never seen 5 foot of snow on sep 15 in the bob. Normaly it still above freezing at night.

As for Chuck Adams. Just as all TV land guys he hunts where the big elk are. The elk he killed in the breaks was not on public land.If it was killed on public land it is becouse thay ran the bull off the ranch he was paying to hunt :}From my understanding,If you contact him with pics of the next world class elk. There will be a very nice bunch of money sent your way.I know two guys that do this. They scout for real big elk/deer than sell the imfoo to TV guys to come hunt.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM

MT,
Yes, its a rifle hunt hopefully during the rut.
I'm not sure what we'll encounter once we get out there but I can't worry about it now. What happens... happens. Several years ago I was in the Lee-Metcalfe Wilderness area of Montana early one morning. The sun wasn't up yet but we had elk below us in a park but we couldn't put antlers on any of them. We were waiting for shooting light which was probably 30 minutes away. I were really concerned about shooting a spike or a cow elk so we were sitting hard while we waited. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw a muzzle flash way off in the distance. Two seconds passed before I heard the shot. Several hunters had moved into our area the night before and had come in behind us in the morning. Needless to say the perfect set-up was ruined. That's part of hunting though because if it were easy we'd call it "killing" and not hunting.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Wolf killer,
You are one hard person!
dog1
Old 09-03-2005, 07:00 PM

I am not saying that someone cannot hunt the BOB by themselves. It definately can be done but I do not think the average guy is going to have the same opportunity with out a guide as he would with a guide. Of course I think that is true for most of the people who are not locals and who do not have the time to scout. Finding big bulls is rarely a game of luck, although it does happen. September 15th, you are right will be very little snow and still above freezing but come back in November and that area is going to be deep.

As for Chuck Adams, I have a ton of respect for him. I have read his books and articles and I like his aggressive tactics. I think the guy works hard and hunts hard and his advise on elk calling has helped me tremendously.