Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolf population in Idaho

Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Wolf population in Idaho

For those of you who know, like lived there since the re-introduction, what would you say the wolf population in idaho is like? What kind of effect hasit had on your own personal elk hunting success? Friends or others? Any guides out there care to comment?

I've been to Stanley, ID and have personally witnessed a small pack crossing the road in town. Also a particular thing Isaw while elk hunting there. Way back in, on one of the roads, came across the usual display board of what area you are in and other hunting info. Well, there so happened to be a wolf poster there that said something to the effect of wolves in the area and if one is seen to excersize the three S's....."SHOOT, SHOVEL, SHUTUP". This poster wasn't more than about that, but it was a laminated poster that actually showed some professionalism to it....kinda makes me wonder about if F&G isn'tbehind it. I say go man go!!!!

But as the sign says, SHOOT, SHOVEL, SHUTUP. And that's exactly what I'll be doing should it present itself. Personally, I like elk venison a whole bunch more than wolf, and they come with horns if you would like.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wolf population in Idaho

Here's one!
I took this one in Alberta, not Idaho!

Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 AM

I'm different I quess. I think that the wolf has a place in the wilderness. I think that the reintroduction was a good thing. The wolf was here before us, and everything was fine. I will go further in saying that I definately think that they should be managed. "Don't touch" is not a sound management strategy. I like predators, I guess because I am one. I like being in wild places where I might not be at the top of the food chain. I think that it is our responsibility to keep there numbers at a level that will not affect other populations negatively.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 AM

I firmly agree with all you said, but like you said, there must not be a "no touch" policy.

Elk, deer and all other creatures big and small are just a plate away from being dinner to wolves. My question is this, who's eating the wolves? The answer, next to nothing except nature and "accidents" especially since they're protected. Mountain lions, cougar, coyotes, bears, are all scavengers/predators, but yet we can all get tags and hunt them...seems to me like that is game management at it's best. Not carde' Blanche' for wolves with a never ending appetite and don't obey game reg's.
So with out some type of regulatory means, the wolves will kill offmost if not all the big game since we'll be hunting too...and then what? We now switch roles by hunting wolves and puttingelk and deer on the "no touch" list?

Here's a thought, how about selling tags? Maybe a draw system so they all don't get wiped out in a few months.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell you from experience here in Minnesota where the wolves have been protected for quite some time. From what I've seen, they have been talking about delisting them for going on about 3 to 4 years and I haven't seen anything in the news to indicate any progress here in MN. Once they delist them from the endangered species list, then they can manage them in terms of either trapping or hunting. The anti's have gotten what they wanted...wolves will take care of populations so that hunter opportunities will decrease. Case in point...Late season migration hunt just north of Yellowstone. From what I heard (Not certain), this hunt will be cancelled due to lack of elk in the park. I think that you'll find that the anti's will use the court system to put whatever efforts to manage wolves on hold indefinitely and we all know how the wheels of justice can grind on and on. My felllow Iron Rangers in northern Minnesota definitely use the S-S-S method with some success!!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 AM

I saw a wolf while hunting in the clearwater region this year.I hunt there every year.(unguided)I have read a couple of articles from the Orofino newspaper about an outfitter who I believe has now lost either 5 or 6 dogs that he runs bob cats mountain lions and bears with to wolf kills.His name is Travis Reggear I believe.In a recent article I read he said for every pack that is known there are a couple of others that are not known.
I know from speaking with the people who live in the area out there that there is an increasing anxiety and tension surrounding the wolf situation.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM

Staggering information from the postings above. To think this is not a nationallywide-spread problem would be fool hearted. Quoting from a post above "shutting down the hunt because of the lack of elk in the park". HELLO!!! Where did the elk go? Vacation? Cruise? NO, their dead! All because the wolf population was not manageddue to the courts, legislature and politicians. Did you write yours by the way?I don't remember the last time an elk or deer was witnessed killing dogs, or cats, or anything else.
Don't these people get it? It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul, but on a wildlife scale, something has to give. Nothing can be equal.Do we want elk/deer? Or Wolves?

Just imagine sitting down at the dinner table. Asking the wife, "what's for dinner hun"? She of coarse would reply, "oh dear we're having wolf again tonight"...YUMMY. I love canine meat. At the same time while fighting back the the pangs of your stomach turning you remember what it was like to actually have venison on the table. Then immediately you'll also remember that YOU had a voice on what and how the game population is managed....do your part.

How manyof you would like toNOT hunt your favorite game anymore? How many of you would like to participate in a wolf tag draw? I mean the type where youstill get reg's each year, except they will be for your own home state to hunt wolves, and wolves only!Maybe even a small article of how it's possible thatin 10-15 years the elk & deer population might be high enough to start hunting them again. Wildlife hunting supporters and researchers will blame it on the over-abundance ofnon managed wolves killing game, tree-huggers will of coarse stick their head in the sandand say that it's just nature....where's my granola?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being from Idaho, this is a very touchy subject! And the Anti's foolishly pursueded the state into a wolf reintroduction! I am only 22 years old, And yet I know of more then one bunch of wolves that has been around for decades...

Some of the above statements are very true! whotheguy, I am with you.. The elk haven't gone on a Vacation, they have been getting raped by the increasing wolf population! There was a picture in the paper a few years ago of a small pack of wolves on the south side of Bogus Basin. Taken from a guy on his back porch! That to me is a problem....

Here is a true story, Right beforeI joined the Coast Guard Myself along with a couple buddies went up towards Sun Valley. Because the Fly fishing is great in the Winter timeon the Big Wood River! On the way out of the Valley we saw a bunch of cars off the side of the road along with a fish and game truck. So we stopped to see if all was well.. And to our surprise there was something serious happening in the feild not 500 yds away..

What we saw was a pack of five wolves..... And a small heard of elk, about 10 or so.. All cows and calves. The wolves were taking advantage of the elk. the snow was 2-4 foot deep, and the elk had no where to run... The wolves attacked all the elk. Not to kill them but to make them lame. They flanked them. Blood was everywhere... And then before you knew it. that entire Heard was laying down in the snow.. Hurt...Unable to defend themselves.And all the elk were looking at us.. Almost like they were begging for help..AndFor the next week or so.. the wolves would eat... and eat some more, then when one was gone they would walk over and kill another one. And the ones they didn't get to in time died from thirst and starvation. Not to mention being crippled!

Needless to say, I don't remember how many fish we caught that day!!!!
I hope all of you practice the three S's...Shoot..Shovel..Shutup!
It's the only chance we are going to have to keep our Elk around!!! Remeber, Hunters are the world's number 1 conservationist!!!

Please take to heart,
Jearred
Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up Montanan and the one of the first things my dad taught me was the 3 S's.

But you think that bad read today front page of the Greatfalls tribune they are talking about releaing african animals into the greatplains of America to make a balance(I'm not talking hooved ones),I'm saying lions,cheetas,leopards and elephants.What are they all CRAZY!!!!.Look it up I'm seirous.
BBJ
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I'm different I quess. I think that the wolf has a place in the wilderness. I think that the reintroduction was a good thing. The wolf was here before us, and everything was fine.
Shato -I've always enjoyed your posts, your thoughts, advice, etc. and that hasn't change nor will it down the road. I'm only saying this, becuase I respectfully disagree on this one. Yes, the wolf was here before us, but times were different back then. Elk originally were a range animal, an animal of the plains. Wolves could run "wild" in the high country and there was balance. Elk are now in the high country because we, along with adaptation moved them there. Look into the Western states and you will see a very large concern about Wolves. This is not a little problem anymore and they are quickly becoming more than just a predator, but more of a dominator. Moose and Elk herds throughout the west are being drastically effected in some states. I do agree with you that they need managed, I just think we need to recognize that the past is different when it comes to Wolves/Elk living together.

I fully support the 3's and hope more is done quickly to slow this trend. I too believe a place exists for the wolf, to a point and limit.

Quick Reply: Wolf population in Idaho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.