Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I may be a lone hunter

Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM

Default I may be a lone hunter

With just under 2 weeks until we head to the mountains (from Texas), my hunting buddy may be bailing out on me. I am planning on going anyways. If nothing else to show him up. The only things I don't like about it is the 13 hour drive followed by the lonely evenings. I always hunt solo, but just knowing there is someone you know around seems to be some comfort. I think I need a couple of newelk hunting buddies.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Default RE: I may be a lone hunter

That sucks! You may enjoy it more than you think though. I've gone on a few solo hunts, and a few days or even a week to yourself can really clear the head. Hope you get a big'un either way.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless the reason for bailing was a legitimate emergency, then I think you're right, it's time to maybe look elsewhere. That does suck. It is nice to have someone back at camp to share chores, stories from the day, and info. Hope you kill a nice one.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

stinkbelly,

I know exactly where you're coming from. Last deer season here in Georgia, my son, son-in-law, and a good friend were all going to Co elk hunting with me this year. They all three have 3 times the income I have because I'm retired and live on a fixed income. Now, none of them can afford it. I had been planning this hunt for two years and finally had somebody to go with me, it's 1800 miles from my home and Ihad it down to $1000.00 max., and probably less if 4 of us went on a do it yourself hunt/camp, and bought over the counter elk license..

I debated going alone and have talked myself out of it this year, but next year I'm going by myself if I have to, I'm not geting any younger. I might add, they range in age from 35 to 40 and I'll assure you, when they get my age, they will regret not going, I do. Because 18 yrs ago I tried to get some buddies to go and just droped it, back then didn't have a computer and was writing letters and just got aggravated with all the hassle. Also, back then, you could get a bull elk license for $250.00.

So my friend, go, enjoy the trip and hunt.

Good Luck,
dog1
Old 08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dog1

stinkbelly,

I know exactly where you're coming from. Last deer season here in Georgia, my son, son-in-law, and a good friend were all going to Co elk hunting with me this year. They all three have 3 times the income I have because I'm retired and live on a fixed income. Now, none of them can afford it. I had been planning this hunt for two years and finally had somebody to go with me, it's 1800 miles from my home and Ihad it down to $1000.00 max., and probably less if 4 of us went on a do it yourself hunt/camp, and bought over the counter elk license..

I debated going alone and have talked myself out of it this year, but next year I'm going by myself if I have to, I'm not geting any younger. I might add, they range in age from 35 to 40 and I'll assure you, when they get my age, they will regret not going, I do. Because 18 yrs ago I tried to get some buddies to go and just droped it, back then didn't have a computer and was writing letters and just got aggravated with all the hassle. Also, back then, you could get a bull elk license for $250.00.

So my friend, go, enjoy the trip and hunt.

Good Luck,
dog1

hey, if you hold off until next year maybe I'll see you out there. Myself along with 4 friends our heading to Co. for a DIY hunt right outside of Craig.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine dipped out on me also!!! And I even promised 100% opportunity! But that's okay because I talked my dad into going!! Just gave him my back-up bow and he is ready! Haven't had the chance to hunt with him since I joined the Coast Guard! Almost 4 years now!! Should be unforgetable..
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 AM

If you are going on a solo hunt it is a very good idea to observe a few simple rules.

1. Always let people know where you are going, what time you will be there, and when to expect you back. Something as simple as a sprained ankle could cost you your life when you are alone.

2. Always take a reliable method of communication, plus backup! Its not a bad idea to pack a cell phone, a radio, and some signal device such as a mirror or smoke bombs etc. Again, when you are alone a simple injury could prevent you from getting out of the woods under your own power.

3. A simple first aid kit including a few bandages, some antiseptic, a threaded needle, and a tourniquet should be in your gear.

This probably sounds rediculous to some people, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Hey , it sucks to hunt alone ,It seems my "hunting " partners are to buisy w/ The wife and kids to hunt .oh well i,'ll have plenty of time to think about them on my way to Ont., 26 hours worth. one way . Shoot em in head ,save the meat
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM

hey stinkbelly,
When and where do you hunt? I live in TX ( thank God ) also and hunt muleys in Co. during the second season each year. Hunted Elk up there last year. Me and my hunting buddy( he now lives in Denver) could share our camp with you. I know what it's like just knowing you have a buddy back at camp even though you hunt alone. Send me an email and let me know. We hunt unit 77,78,771 just outside Pagosa Springs. If I can help, let me know.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 AM

I will be going to wyoming alone this year for a mulie hunt.I have been out 2 previous times and both times my hunting partners were duds.They were more interested in sleeping in the am than hunting.Had to get up and go alone so whats the diff now.I DO enjoy having a buddy with me but it comes down to"Do it alone or dont do it at all".I prefer to go it alone rather than not at all.BTW,the safety tips that were recommended are extremely right.Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: I may be a lone hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.