Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I may be a lone hunter

Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Default RE: I may be a lone hunter

stinkbelly where you hunting
Old 09-06-2005, 10:29 AM

Well I am back. I wasn't a lone hunter. I had the sky, the mountains, elk, deer, bear (lots of them). It was the best hunt I have ever been on . I recommend to all of those who hav "buddies" back out on them. Go do it on your own. I will now go hunting every year regardless of hunting partners. Anyways I wasn't really alone. The mountain I hunt in Colorado has more people from Texas than Texas does. I am sure you locals know and hate it.

I did have big success. I didn't bag an animal and to some that is the only success, but I learned a bunch. I called in elk 4 or 5 times. They aren't talking, but they are listening. I shot at a bull at 36 yards and shot over his back on opening morning at about 9am. I thought he was at 50 yards. I called a cow to me. She came at full run. I almost shot her in self defense. She stopped at 25 yards when I flinched because she was coming so fast. I kept her there for 10 minutes with some of elknuts soft cow talk. She didn't provide a perfect shot, so I didn't take it. I also passed on several bulls that people would pay thousands for because the shot wasn't perfect. I will not wound an animal. I did it once with a deer and I will never do it again. My success came from stalking monster bulls, calling in elk, and passing on 4-5 shots because they weren't perfect. One of my stalks ended with me watchinga bull bed down and roll around scratchhis neck on the ground and just being natural.

This week I realized why I bow hunt. If it would have been rifle, I would have shot 10 record bulls and 30 cows. I could have been finished in the first 10 minutes of opening day.

There is one thing I think Elknut needs to add to his calling series (I own them all). He needs the call that will tell an elk to turn 90 degrees to provide a perfect shot. I am a solo hunter and I call them directly to me. That doesn't give a good bowshot. So Paul, work on that call and I will buy it.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you had a great hunt! Hunting with people can be fun, and it is nice to have someone to share the experience with, but I definately, definately--oh, and did I say definately?--see more animals when I am hunting alone. I don't mean am in the woods alone, but that there is noone else to think about talking to later, or meeting up with at such and such a draw at what ever o'clock. Alone puts the total focus on the task at hand. Can be lonely too over a few days, but that is also a unique part of the experience.