Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

Old 08-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

This is a pic of a Bull out of Eastmans Journal.If youwere bowhunting ? What do you notice about the demeaner of the bull and if he were say 60 yrds out....How would you bring him in??? Is he looking for another bull or maybe a cow.
The first thing that stands out to me is that his ears are forward and he's looking and listening for something andnot seeing it.(trouble????)
Just looking for different opinions and thoughts.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

He has a look on his face like "Who stepped on that twig." He knows there is something out of place, but not quite sure what it is. I would try to make whatever sound I just made blend in with something you might normally hear, and the elk might be accostomed to. Just because there is a noise, doesn't mean the hunt is over. Also might just try sitting perfectly still and not making any more noises and see if the guy could cool down and relax, then start working him however I was working him again.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't move a muscle. He does not apear to be alarmed enough to get up and move. Just looking as if he heard something. Perhaps there are other elk in the area?

I can't tell for sure but he appears to be bedded down.

I would sit still until he decided to get up and move. If he walked my way great I would wait until his head was concealed and draw and put one through his chest. If he decided to walk off and offer no shot I would probably give a hot cow mew or two when he wasn't looking my direction in hopes he would turn around and walk my way.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree! Wait it out.. He doesn't seem alarmed, just a bit curious! Let him make the next move, then play his cards!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:44 PM

My vast experience leads me to believe he just heard a camera click!! Pretty sure anyways!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 PM

Old 08-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without being there first hand it is so hard to say what to do because there are too many unknown factors. To start off which way is the wind blowing? How many other elk are bedded down or are in the general area? Is it early season or is it middle to late September and the rut is in full swing? Is he a herd bull or just a nice satelite?I say this because IMOhe looks like a 315 to 330 class bull from what I can see. In some area's he will be a monster and others he is the runt satelite bull. If he is a herd bull how many cows does he have. A herd bull with a lot of cows(over 20)will not likley leave them to find another cow.He knows that other bulls are always trying to steal his own cows, soif he just lets his gaurd down for just a second another bull can steal his cows.But you can split the herd and piss him off, or make him think you are a satelite bull stealing his cows and get ready becaues he will throw caution to the wind and come a running to kick your butt. As far a making noise well thats no problem because elk make lots of noise and I too want to make noise that elk make. You have to sell yourself as a real elk, that means sounding smelling and looking like a elk. Now to assume thatits the early tomiddle of September andI was 60 yards away with the wind in my faceand he is alone. He will be of courselookingin my gereral direction because I would have already been elk talking. Then I would pull out my decoy and pop it up in front of him and give him a cow in estrus call. That will get him to move and if he likes it he will come closer, like under 20 yards closer. But there is always a chance he is looking for the boogey man (aka bowhunters) and run off. If that happens I will regroup pull out new calls (new elk) and try if all again. I honestly believe there is not a elk a the mountain that can't be called in you just have to work it and find which buttons to push so to speak. All elk havetherebreaking point and will come a running when you find what they like.It might take more than a week or twoto do it if your heart is set on a single certain herd bull. If it doesn't work the first time use new calls, sound different and try again. Try it with and with out decoys, ratteling, splashing in the wallows, stomping the ground, rubbing/rakingthe tree's and brush, and many many different elk sounds. To be able to sound like a small bull with 4 or 5 cows is a awesome weapon. If there are two of you that only makes it better! I know this is not a cut a dried answere you were looking for but I have answered it the most honestly that I can. Jason
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I believe big bulls is right this bull is bedded down. While the ears are in what appears to be a alert position. The eyes are the dead give away they are relaxed with the eye lids drooping down a bit. Also you can see more of a round hump down the backline from the ribs pushing up. All that don't mean squat I guess.

60yds away you wouldn't see the relaxed eyes but you would see the alert ears posture. What I personally would do is use the terrain to my advantage if possible. If the terrain is working I would put out the decoy and mewwwww alittle on the cow call to see if I could get this bull up and moving in. If the bull started coming in I would try to slip down and around to the side to get a better shot angle. Most people know that hunt alone that bull comes into range it will most likely be a frontal shot only. You don't always have to stay in one place to call elk. My thing is to slip around the elk while he's slipping around you.

But my best choice on this particular bull would to be to take a good look at the trees and landmarks. Back off make a half circle around the bad boy and stick him while he's still on the ground relaxed. Every situation is different I've had many of bulls give me the slip too. Sometimes you out fox the fox.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

GOOD!!!
Jason.....I really wasn't looking for cut and dry.Just scenario answers.So you had it right.
I've been in similer situations while muzzleloading....But that's muzzleloading. I went to a seminar the other night and the speaker was Chris Rowe from Primos. I've heard alot of speakers but THIS guy knows his ..............Stuff........Anyway he had talked about decoys and I was hoping someone would say that they use them and add some details???? I would also agree that noise................The right kind is not a hinderance but an extra tool to use.
So keep it coming .............I leave next Thurs. and at least talking about it helps me through the night[][][][]
GLOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HuntElk4Fun.....................That's toooooo Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

cherokee outfitters, I have a question for you. First off I want to say I don't think one method or idea is better than another, so here goes. I have bow hunted since 89, during that time I have hunted and called in elk for myself and for friends and family. When calling in elk for myself I know that they will come in head on and that is a horrible shot. But I have also learned that if I and others have patience sooner or later the elk will turn, or they will move around to my right or left. Either way I will have a broadside shot or quartering away. When the shot I like presents itself I give a sharp grunt or quick high pitch cow call. This has always locked up elk dead in their tracks for me. It allows me draw my bow and shoot while they look at the moving bush with weird looks. But on the other hand when I have tried to move off to my left or right so I can have a broadside shot when they show up. They will spot that and either stop and stare forever or turn around and leave. When moving I don't call because when I am moving I don'twant them to pinpoint me and catch me off guard. Also I can't hear them either calling softly or walking towards me when I am moving. When I move I plan it out in advance andtry to pick good shooting lanes to move to and do it quickly maybe on the run. Once there I will stomp the ground and rub the tree while callingbut I will not move much more than a couple feet. So my question to you is how do you do it when you are alone? How do you call then move without getting caught with your pants down? I have moved with the decoy in my hand along with cow callsand that does work awesome! I have moved out into the open and then back into the timber only to have elk follow me. When calling forothers I set them up and tell them to not move but I zig zag and jay hook to bring a bull into them. Anyway I would love to hear your ideas and adviceon this subject.

glob3006, I have not been to Chris Rowe's seminar but I would like to. I have been to Jim Horn's seminar as well as several others from Primos. Chad Shearer(outfitter, guide and RMEF world calling Pro Champ) gives a excellent seminar, not sure who he works for except the RMEF?So doesthe gang from Hunters Specialties,Wayne Carlton, All Moris, JR Keller, andDan Witmus.I have notbeen to Paul's (ELK NUT) seminar but I have spent enough time on thephone with him to know he gives a good one.Same goes for Michael Batease,(Bugling Bull game calls Pro Staff),again I have not been to one of his seminars but from the time spent on the phone talking to himI know he and Rocky give a excellent program. I am lucky to be friends with many of these guys and have spent a lot of time talking onthe phone and even been invited over to their houses. I have learned they are no different than you or me and they all love to huntand call ELK! They are all very dedicated hunters and elk callers and they also learn from other hunters as well. I have said it before and I'll say it again education is the exchange of idea's and talking and learning to as many people as possible itone key to success!

Quick Reply: Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.