Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting scenario...Elk w/Pic

Ok here is what I would do.

I would put my 60 yds pin right on his forehead and let her FLYYY!!!!.
Naw just kidding.

This is my kind of hunting,elk in the timber.This bull is not very excited.He heard something but look he is in the thick timber and twigs and small branches break all the time.You have two choices or maybe three.One is this bull is beded down,you can wait for him to stand up and try a 60 yds shot.Two you can back out and circle below him and THEN put up a decoy and try calling him.Now for three.You are in the timber where cover is relativly all around you.I would take my pack off slowly,pick a path through the trees with least amout of ground trash and branches.Wait for this bull to turn his head,he will after a while,or go back to dozen.As he moves his head or sleeps creap up 5-6 yds at a time.stay close to the ground and always with some break-up cover between you(might have to move at a angle with the wind)just in case he picks up his head and looks at you,keep your head down and try not to make eye contact with him.Glance now and then to see his demeanor.After and few 6 yard moves,try and get at least 12 yds on him,20 would be better.Settle in next to a tree and wait him out,he will eventualy stand and offer a shot.This a high risk move and you stand a chance of getting busted,but I have used this with elk with and a rifle to get with 20 or so yards before making a shot.I have never killed a elk with a bow,as this is going to be my first year at it.I have killed plenty with a rifle.
Now Senario number 2 should work good,cause he is just bedded for the after noon,I would slip back 80 yds and put up a cow elk decoy(I have bought 2 after watch elknuts videos.The full elk and the elk rear end by Montana decoys)I would set up the rear end one and move 10-20 yds to the left or right.Spray a little cow in heat on a tree next to her and start with a cow in estrus call and get him up and moving,then start with a few cow/calf calls,and then back to the cow in heat.If he's alone and a hedro-sexual bull(like cows-not bulls)
he should be coming in like a freight train,when you hear him coming in quit calling,maybe give him one last shot fom a hoochie mama and get ready.
That my opinon,thats what I would try.I will see if it works come September.
BBJ
Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

So it looks like a decoy would be worth the$$$?? Especially if one were hunting alone.
Seriously guys these are the type of situationhunting tips that can help someone tagout. Not just get them through a hunt.
Good stuff!!
Bill
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

IdahoElk

I also don't call when moving. Alot of times myself I have waited for a bull to turn broadside so I could have a broadside shot. Last years hunt I was caught in the middle of an open spot while trying to move up and to the side where the bull was bugling from. He came straight and did it fast. My plan was to offset where he thought I was. Those elk can really pin point sound. Anyway he came in fast and locked up on me about 16yards away. I had to wait for him to turn before I could take the shot. When I heard this bull bugle I busted butt up the side to try to get between him and his cows and it worked. Trying to stalk fast is nottaeasy task but it does get the blood pumping.

I'm not one for %100 calling all the time. I like to call enough to locate the bull on a mountain side and stalk on the bull. I usually let the situation determin calls, decoys, and how much to push and when to come back tommorow. I just started using some scents the last few years and to me it seems to be working. I was working a bull over last year and it got too dark I just sat down for a while to let the darkness cover my exit I had cow elk come in on me not more than 5yards away and I unbelievably walk right through the middle of them. I'm still smilin. (Wildlife Research ElkFire).

Okay you asked how I set up a decoy on a bull, call him and move. First you have to have good terrain such as a knoll, bench, small ravine, or alot of thick trees. What I've done in the past (50/50 chance of getting busted) is catch a bull unaware of your presence but low chance of stalking right up to him. I set up the decoy where the bull can see it when I start callin. Usually only cow calls. Then if the bull starts to come I'll use what terrain I can and slip off at a 45 degree angle at the bull. Alot of times when you peek over or around you have to find the bull's location again. I only move a total of about 10 to 15 yards as fast and quiet as possible. When I have the bull in view I wait for the bull to lock up on the cow. If things go bad I will call again from where I'm at and the bull usually calms down and turns slowly. But I've had bulls bust me by sound and I come up looking right into his eyes. Hunts over for that bull.

I've never had someone call for me I tend to like to do it myself alone. But I've called them in for clients. What you said about splitting the hunters apart is in my experience right on the money for best chances for a shot. When I call I rake trees and kick rocks around acting aggressive. But the main thing I do is call with the same tones the bulls are using right then. I sound just like the bull that's callin. Whatever he's saying to me I say to him. Even on a nervous bull this seems to work acting as nervous as him most of the time he'll open up after a while and come to investigate. Decoys a awesome for distracting the elk while you get it together. I've had bulls cross open parks to come to the decoy I set on the edge of the trees.

I'm not a perfect caller but elk don't always make perfect bugles. So probally not much help but I let the situation dictate the amount of calls and which ones. Situation also is when I decide to move or not move. But the one thing I can almost guarantee is if you can cut off a bull or get in between him and his cows and let that call rip loud and tear apart the mountain side is that bull is coming in and he's coming in mad and fast.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

As far as a hunting situation goes, that bull is not alarmed or feels there's a possible threat! I don't feel he was bedded either. That bull has the demeanor of a bull looking for another elk! (caller) Outside of the picture taken in Yellowstone and he sees the camera-man, that bull has come in & knows he's close enough that he should be seeing it too! To make any sound at all & give away your position when he's looking in your vicinity would be a common but huge mistake!

Many want to sound like an elk but look like a bush when elk are sooooo close, but yet still to far away. He doesn't see the elk he's looking for so there's a good chance if he hasn't seen you move that he'll keep coming seeing he's made it that far. Patience is a virture here!!!! Let him come!!

If the bull turns to leave instead of coming closer because a red flag is raised, DO NOT CALL!!!! Let him get out of sight, he won't go far. Parrelel him with the wind in your favor, don't follow directly behind him. Re-setup, don't use the same call, switch to a different toned cow call for instance, and re-work him with new sounds such as one cow & calf and whines & moans from spike to raggie youngster. No need to get aggressive & overcall, you already know he's in earshot, there's a very good chance he'll come in quiet to check you out! Once again be patient & willing to hold tight for 30min. 9 times out of 10 he'll show-up!

Cherokee---I enjoyed your post there on your use of decoy! I use the same method when hunting alone or with two at times when I know the bull is coming to give elk sounds then hook around & shut-up within bowrange of my last calling. But I've never used a decoy in that situation to give him a visual where I last called, but can see it's effectivness in your description. -- Do you have any problem with finding your decoy later if you have to keep moving in order to work the bull because of his lack of cooperation?? <grin> Good Post!!-------ElkNut1

Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

This appears to be a 4-5yr old bull searching for something. This is not a herd bull, so cow numbers will be small if at all. Watch your wind, it is a big deal here! Do you have a lane for him to get to you? If yes, put your head down and quietly cow call to left or right to get him to turn his head in that direction and watch his reaction. If he stretches his neck out and makes any vocalization other than a bark, he will probably come to you. Might not be fast, but he will come to you, but don't call again. If you don't have a lane, you better find one quick, because he will be moving on. If he is talking, answer him by all means, but make it sound like you are a ways away so he will want to move. DON"T pour it on be subtle, cause you could blow this deal easy. This is a bull looking to steal some cows, I would work him.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: elknut1

As far as a hunting situation goes, that bull is not alarmed or feels there's a possible threat! I don't feel he was bedded either. That bull has the demeanor of a bull looking for another elk! (caller) Outside of the picture taken in Yellowstone and he sees the camera-man, that bull has come in & knows he's close enough that he should be seeing it too! To make any sound at all & give away your position when he's looking in your vicinity would be a common but huge mistake!

Many want to sound like an elk but look like a bush when elk are sooooo close, but yet still to far away. He doesn't see the elk he's looking for so there's a good chance if he hasn't seen you move that he'll keep coming seeing he's made it that far. Patience is a virture here!!!! Let him come!!

If the bull turns to leave instead of coming closer because a red flag is raised, DO NOT CALL!!!! Let him get out of sight, he won't go far. Parrelel him with the wind in your favor, don't follow directly behind him. Re-setup, don't use the same call, switch to a different toned cow call for instance, and re-work him with new sounds such as one cow & calf and whines & moans from spike to raggie youngster. No need to get aggressive & overcall, you already know he's in earshot, there's a very good chance he'll come in quiet to check you out! Once again be patient & willing to hold tight for 30min. 9 times out of 10 he'll show-up!

Cherokee---I enjoyed your post there on your use of decoy! I use the same method when hunting alone or with two at times when I know the bull is coming to give elk sounds then hook around & shut-up within bowrange of my last calling. But I've never used a decoy in that situation to give him a visual where I last called, but can see it's effectivness in your description. -- Do you have any problem with finding your decoy later if you have to keep moving in order to work the bull because of his lack of cooperation?? <grin> Good Post!!-------ElkNut1
Just another reminder ElkNut is the man. That makes perfect sense, think like the Elk and combine it with the situation. Great stuff on what to do when he turns and walks off. I'd bet 99/100 hunters in here would have fired back a soft cow mew.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

HuntElk4Fun, I couldn't agree more!

cherokee outfitters, I like do like your ideas, I admit I do call a lot, maybe too much. But I tooalso try to let the elk determinine the situation of what I am saying to them. AlsoIguess I didn't guess ask a clear question because I don't have a problem moving with a decoy in hand. I like it when I am moving with a decoy and most of the time Ican geta elk to follow me into the timer for a close shot.Its moving andtrying to sneek closer undetectedwith no decoythat I do have problems with. I guess I am just too big and clumsy!

gselkhunter, man its good to hear from you, haven't seen you around in awhile, hope all is well.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Elknut1 I haven't lost one yet the possiblilty is there. Also you really don't want a bull your not going to shoot walk up to the decoy to sniff it out. Educates them real fast.

Idaho, I hear ya on the clumsy part I used to be a cat even on a fast stalk now i'm an older lion waiting out the ambush. haha . I get too laughing at myself sometimes when its late in the day and the feet are dragging and bumping into stuff. It's humorus when a man gets mad at his own feet not responding to the brain.