Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Old 08-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Got in an hour ago from a 12 mile horse ride out my back door. Was gettin close to dark when 2 bulls lit up across the canyon from where I was not more than 5-600 yards off. SWEET!!! Its been super hot here and clear skies. Seems like an early start for around here but sure gets the heart pumping!! Saw a 7x7 on Saturday morning flanked by 3 raghorn 4 and 5s. The pressure is on to shoot my Ram on Sept 1st so Im ready for Elk opener on the 10th!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Just love that sweet sound. Sounds like a great trip.

Lots calling in my basement & on thedeck these days . Hopefully come Sept they will be answered!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:39 AM

That's awesome to hear!! It is early, wow. I know bulls will bugle at one another as they begin the show and tell as they match voices with horns. I'll bet there are starting to scrape and playing show and tell.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 AM

i had bulls answer me in july, it doesn't mean that much. but it is nice to hear!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't surprise me and actually is right on time. The oldest cows will start breeding in a couple of weeks. Yet the majority will be in Sept.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:04 PM

SWEET! Oh I'm getting so antsy. Come on sept 9! roll on days, roll on.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

You guys have to stop realy if you keep posting stuff like this Iam going to pop !

[/align]
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this sounds crazy but a little known fact about elkis the cows do bugle somewhat, its not a good sounding bugle like a bull makes but they do make a short2 or 3 note very high pitch cow bugle. Iam not saying that the bulls are not starting up and trying to bugle right now and they themselves don't sound very good right now either but I am just saying cow do make a bugle sound themselves. So if you hear a bugle early on, and it doesn't sound very good, try to get a visual to see if in fact it came from a bull or maybe a cow.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:05 PM

If you really sit and listen to Elk alot, when a cow gets whiny and drawn out she can sound like a spike or rag bull. It's pathetic as idahoelk mentioned, but it is easily mistaken for a bull. Anyone seen any Elk in the field starting to rub yet? Should be starting up. Another great sign the times a comin!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Its amazing the knowledge that can be gleened from this site. I never knew that cows could bugle, interesting. I wish I lived closer to the mountains so I could spend the time to understand these beautiful creatures. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.