Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

drainage ?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Spike

Default drainage ?

What are you guys calling a drainage? Is it where a creek runs off the mountain?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: drainage ?

In a way yes. That would be a smaller explanation. It is used by most to describe usually a large block of land carved out by a water source with steep terrain on both sides..
Old 08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canyon. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Spike

Would it be the same as a gulch? thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM

Anything that drains water at some time or another.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM

A drainage can be a wide variety of things. For example, the Green River drainage is any river that eventually flows into the Green River. With that in mind, some can be huge, some can be very small. In the field, most people I know refer to drainages like they do rivers or streams or a groups of canyons and streams that represent a drainage.i.e. 3 canyons we hunt make up the South Fork Drainage and that's how everyone around here knows the area, etc.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

In a way yes. That would be a smaller explanation. It is used by most to describe usually a large block of land carved out by a water source with steep terrain on both sides..
Ditto. You ain't going up it or down it unless your a mountain goat. Its either up or down in a drainage and I don't like being caught up in them. A lot of critters like bedding on the overhanging rockledges along the drainages, sometimes the water deafens making it impossible to hear anything and you have the posiblity of surprising a critter between the water and the rock face your walking, not a good place to be in as its not good to corner or surpriseany animal. I have had my hair on my neck standing at times encountering courgar kills and Black bears with cubs and for me no place to exit. Sorry for rambing on, but just one more thing, when going down, you gotta go back up.
Bobby