Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WHICH RIFLE ?

Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 AM

Default RE: WHICH RIFLE ?

Ok I'll play Devil's Advocate... Why keep running the same ol bias ply tires on the same ol 15 year old pickup truck? Why not step up too the plate and allow a lil bit of modern technology to show you what it can do?

The 06 is a great ol warhorse, as is the 7mag. I have two of each. BUT if I were to suggest one caliber too a person with nothing in the gunsafe for big game and their "must kill list" included deer and elk, it would be a 300WSM. The majority of guys on here are making honest, heartfelt recommendations for sure. BUT that same majority have never elk hunted in the first place. In that case why take their word for it? One responder even recommended limiting your shots on elk too 300yds so that you could use the ol 06??? Why limit yourself? Elk hunting takes alot of time, sweat, bootleather, money and sometimes even blood. So why limit your options by limiting your rifle simply for "ol times sake"?

Like it or not, the 300WSM (and even the 270WSM) are here to stay!!! They have gain ground in big game rifles quicker than ANYTHING before in rifle history. They did that for a reason, because their attributes are REAL! They are lighter (something to CERTAINLY consider when chasing elk) they are very accurate, their ammo selection is basically growing daily (walk into any typical gunshop and I bet you will find at least as much offering for the 300WSM as you do for the 300Win, in most places you will see the WSM command more shelf space) and the rifles offered in WSMs are becoming nearly endless. Another plus I like about them is they don't require a 26" barrel to maximize powder burning, deduct the 1/2" from the action, 2-4" from the barrel and you quickly have a rifle that just "feels better" than their full sized brethren.

I won't go into specifics as they are endless and such arguements are what make this site what it is. But for simplicities sake I simply offer this, if you like synthetics then look at the A-bolt Stalker or Stainless Stalker. If wood is your thing then check into the Medallion or the Hunter Field versions. If you REALLY want a showboat piece then go for the White Gold Medallion (BEST looking rifle IMHO for $1k or less!). If you are on the strictest of budgets then check out the Rem 700SPS, Winchester 70 Silver Shadow or any of the Savages in WSM.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on!
RA
Old 08-14-2005, 09:29 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 30-06 on any game in North America. You give meten seconds of a good look on any North American game animal with my 30-06 inside 300 yards and I'll show you meat in the freezer lol.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the 7 mag. I love mine and my whole family shoots them, including my wife. Recoil is going to be just about the same with all of the guns in that class, such as the 30 0sucks, .270, and 300 win mag. 7 mag is a much flatter round than the 30 0sucks and there is plenty of variety of factory ammo out there to please anyone. There is all of that 30 0sucks ammo available because no on can figure out one that works better than the 7mm I shoot Federal Premium 175 gr. and have had excellent luck with those, as well as with the standard old Remington Core-Lokt in 175 gr. If elk are on the menu, I would just as soon get the 7 because you never know how far away you are going to be, and you may have to be farther away that the distance it would take to throw the 30 0sucks at the elk. Good luck in your choice!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 AM

The 06 has been killing stuff for 100 years and is still the single most popular "big game" cartridge in the US.The 7mag has been very popular for 50 years and their sales (and reputation) are still doing well.The 300WSM will probably have track record of significant length as well. They all work! Get the one you like (regardlss of caliber) and enjoy your time in the field. As the hunting population dwindles and the number of non/anti hunters increases, I'd say our days as hunters are numbered. Go as often as you can and take a kid. The libs are gaining!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 AM

I have a Browning A-Bolt in a 300 Win mag left handed. I'm sure they have the 30-06 in a lefty which I'd buy in a heartbeat if I didn't have an old trusty 06 Remington (semi but a tack driver). If it's primarily for deer, get the 30-06.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Old 08-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Check out the 7mm WSM's and 300 WSM's, very versatile for the handloaders. I myself am using my M1A for the next few years until I get around to building a bigger boomstick, which will either be a 300 WSM or a Rem 700PSS in 300 win mag (my next tactical rifle buildup also...)
Old 08-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the 7mm Rem. Mag.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on how much you want to pay. But I'd recommend without hesitation Tikka rifles. For the money you won't find a nicer, more accurate, finer designed or build rifle out of the box anywhere, imo. I have a .30-06 Tikka T3 for deer and .300 Win Mag T3 that I've shot several nice Elk with. If you're only looking to buy one, I'd buy the .300 WM and go with 165 or 180 gr slug.

Put a good quality scope (e.g. Nikon Monarch or Leupold) on it with the rings that come with the T3. Shoot premium ammo and you'll be mighty happy with the results.