Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting in Silverthorne/Ruby Ranch area?

Old 08-03-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Elk hunting in Silverthorne/Ruby Ranch area?

Can anyone out there provide me any insight into elk hunting in the Silverthorne, CO area? I have a place to stay and was considering a do-it-yourself archery hunt. Is it worth it?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Elk hunting in Silverthorne/Ruby Ranch area?

going elk hunting is always worth it. I don't know anything about Silverthorne but, I would still give it a shot if I were you. I hunt over the counter any year that I don't get drawn for my favorite unit. I go all over trying to find a good spot to hunt. I have found a few good areas but, still keep looking for that one spot worth going to again and again. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Thanks 1elkhunter - I just may do that next season.
Good luck to you as well
Old 08-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Spike

I now the area pretty well. That might be where i bow hunt this season if i don't get one outside blackhawk. Where are you coming from?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 AM

krueger - I'm coming from Delaware. I've been to Montrose county CO (1990) and more recently to the Hilas in NM, and in both cases I hired a guide. It's an expensive option for sure and I've not been super impressed with the skills of the guides to date (one of them was recovering from a groin injury and loaded himself up with BenGay ever day!).
I'm an experienced whitetail hunter and I hope to apply some of that experience to my next attempt at elk, which will be a DIY type.

Regards