Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Default ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

Taking a Polaris Sportsman 400 hunting in Colorado. We'll be around 10,000 ft. I currently live in Wisconsin.
Will I have to "re-jet" the ATV for best results? Will it run ok without any changes?
It seems like it should be ok, but some guys have said it may need this to run out there. We won't be doing alot of hauling or anything, so some decrease in efficiency will still be ok.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default RE: ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

atv's have no place in the woods at 10,000 ft![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 PM

you will have to re-jet your carbs... but I myself would not take an atv that high up... the air is really thin up there.... and i agree with manboy they have no place that high up.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM

In my area it is only legal to drive ATVs on the same marked road that it is legal to take your truck on.

Unless you are hunting on private ground (in which case, suit yourself) please leave your ATV in Wisconsin, barring that please leave it in your roadside camp or at the trail head.

Generally, people don't come to the quiet pristine mountains of Colorado to listen to ATV's.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Trib:

I would be surprised if the ATVs would even run, except at WOT, without a re-jet.As the others indirectly mentioned, rent some horses, if you don't have them:

http://www.sombrero.com/hunting.asp

Have fun and good luck,
CE
Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless it is fuel injected it aint gonna run worth a darn at 10,000 feet.

If you do take it just make sure that you keep it to the marked roads and jeep trails.

You'll have better success if you are hunting more and riding less. Too many people, every year, ride up and down the roads and trails looking for elk only to run them into the laps of the people that are actually in the woods hunting.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

One of my brother's-in law was in the Smuther's Brother's racing team.
When we use to go Charlotte Motor Speedway, we would have to change
the jets in the carburator because of the altitude. When we came back to
FL, we hadto change them again. Go to the distributor and ask them thier
recomendations.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks guys! I will contact a dealer out in Colorado. I have no intention of "off-roading" anywhere.
Our 'guide' describes leaving camp on atv, going a few miles on a trail, then hiking to our sites the last couple of miles.
I personally hate to hear atv's anywhere in the woods, especially when bowhunting, but he said if on the trail it makes getting away from campeasier and quicker.
I, like all of you, want to enjoy something man could never, ever, no-matter-how-much money, create: God's outdoors.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 PM

I live at 4500 ft and we take our ATV's to our cabin at 10500 ft all the time with no problems. I'm not an ATV expert and pardon my stupidity but had never heard of "re-jetting" anything until reading this post. I just know we haven't touched our wheelers and everyone of them runs like a charm.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken my ATV up to 13,000', but I have installed a "dial-a-jet" that allows me to lean or richen my fuel mixture based on my altitude. It's much more simple than re-jetting. I did this because I live in CO, but also deer hunt in MO. I needed the flexibility to move between the two places.

A great resource for ATVs can be found here:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/

For all the ATV haters out there, it's the user not the machine. I was hunting a beautiful meadow one evening last fall when a pickup came driving to within 50yds of where I was set up. Completely ruined my hunt. It was my first experience hunting on public land, and left a bad taste in my mouth. It is one of the reasons I'm going to try and avoid the crowds and hunt the 4th season this year. The point is, there are irresponsible people that do irresponsible things regardless if they are driving a truck, ATV, horse, or even walking.

Quick Reply: ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.