Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ATV at 10,000 ft. QUES

My second hobby is ATVing. Unless you have money in your pocket to burn save it. The performance of your ATV will suffer at 10,000 ft with the current jets but it will definitely run. I live at 4500 ft and I break my ATV's in with sea level jets. They still run at 10,000 ft. They don't run aswell but where you're just ferrying people back and forth on one hunting trip, don't even worry about it they'll run good enough.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Thanks again to everyone! I'm pretty new to this forum and it is so awesome so far! I've really learned alot!
Yeah, we should just be ferrying people awhile and walking in the rest to the stand. I feel pretty confident going out as is, but can always rejet there or purchase dial-a-jet out there.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM
XTP

For all the ATV haters out there, it's the user not the machine
.....Amen to that !!.....I have also have a 4x4 truck ruin my hunt on several occasions but still see their value in the outdoors. I hunt some pretty flat land here in Manitoba and still need my atv to access most of the areas due to problems with a knee.If I were to walk everywhere I would be on the couch before the week was up. So does that mean I should just stay home ???.....I THINK NOT !
I don't see anything wrong with using one for transportation from camp to a hunting area and then proceeding on foot from there which is what he has stated they will be doing.Also helps when retrieving a kill.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: XTP

.Also helps when retrieving a kill.
Exactly! Another good point. Daytime temps when we go should be in the 80's! I do not intend to loose any meat if I harvest!
Thanks again all and enjoy your hunts!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 PM

I Elk hunt at 11,000 ft. with my Polaris 500 H.O. No Problems!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Just like gun calibers, bullets, and women.....everybody has their opinion!
Me, even though I come from Texas, I would rather shoot a horse than ride it. But you don't hear me telling people to leave theirs at home. If you are a "REAL" man, as some would suggest one has to be to be in the mountains and hunt elk, then why you need a beast of burden like a horse do your work for you???? Aren't you man enough to walk and carry your own? And since we are on the subject, surely a real hunter would not drive in a vehicle into the mountains, thereby damaging the air along the way with noise and smog and such. What about that poor deer hunter in the foothills that just can't stand the sound of your 4 wheel drive running up and down the highway?
Personally, we hunt on public land and we have a week to enjoy with a couple days of travel each way. We have neither the inclination nor the resources to deal with horses or mules (although we have done the horse rental in the past). Where we hunt is above 10k feet and atv's are legal on roads and marked trails and for game retrieval. Being lowlanders, our ability to cover ground is severely limited at that altitude. Using atv's permit us to cover the ground from camp to the general area each of us has chosen to hunt, at which time our physical resources are expended in full. I run year round and am in excellent shape. Before I get some of you highlanders commenting on being in shape, come on down to hot country and we'll train for a while together. No matter your condition here, you will be limited in a short hunt by the altitude.......period, end of discussion. The money, time and overall "fun" investment we make is maximized by the use of atv's. Our choice. We are respectful of the law, the land, and those hunting around us. Our hunt's have always been sucessful.......whether we harvest elk or not.
I sometimes wonder about some of those that post on this site. We are not all alike in our pursuits. Nor are we alike in our likes and dislikes. Guns kill people but would we not all agree that it is the wielder of the weapon that is to blame? I submit the same should be applied to other areas as well, such atv's. I will keep my atv out of your camp and out of the same respect, you keep you horse out of mine!!! Actually, you and your horse are welcome in our camp. WE are respectful to those that practice likewise.

As to the question of the carburateor, we have taken several brands to our camp (around 10,250) with good results. No rejetting necessary. You lose about 3% engine performance per 1000 feet of increased altitude, so expect them to run less than peak. Might adjust the idle a little upwards to compensate but otherwise enjoy your hunt.