Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why no fuss about Carribou?

Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Why no fuss about Carribou?

After giving this forum a good look over, I've decided that elk are the thing to hunt big game. I see a little interest in moose or bear, but I haven't seen one person talk about a carribou hunt. I know they live way up north (Alaska, etc) but has anyone here been carribou hunting? Are they just harder to hunt, more expensive permit, meat not as good, etc.? I was just wondering. Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Why no fuss about Carribou?

Caribou seem to lack the sex appeal of elk. They are easy to hunt (especially barren ground). They are relatively inexpensive. They are an add on with a lot of hunts up north. For example, I went on a Moose hunt and added a caribou. or sheep +caribou, or bear + caribou etc. They are a beautiful animal and make a beautiful mount, they just don't elicit the awe of a big bull elk, or moose, or ram, or bear, or even whitetail.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:01 PM

I agree - also I haven't found caribou to be a very elusive animal- they're pretty niave.
If you're after really good meat and bunch of antler, it's a hard hunt to beat for the money. My view - take a bow; it'll make it a lot morerewarding.
Lake trout fishing is typically a real nice add on.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted the past two years and will again this year in Newfoundland for Woodland Caribou. They are a different sub species and NL is one of the few places to hunt them. They have larger bodies but smaller antlers than the baron ground variety. About the only sound they make is a grunt similar to deer. Lots of walking in real tough terrain but they are pretty easy to take by spotting and stalking. Not a bad price for such a beautiful animal and the meat is delicious.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 PM

fOUR YEARS AGO 2 OF US DID AN UNGUIDED HUNT ON THE ALASKA TUNDRA OUT OF A RENTAL SUV I HIGHLY RECEMMEND IT SPENT LESS THEN $1900 THATS FROM PITTSBURGH NOT COUNTING THE BEUTIFUL MOUNT
Old 08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

dayna,
I would be intrested in some info of where you went if you could send me a e-mail.About 4 of us are planning a DIY hunt for Caribou.If we don't doit that way we will hire a guide in YellowKnife and drive up there and hunt.
BBJ
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

fOUR YEARS AGO 2 OF US DID AN UNGUIDED HUNT ON THE ALASKA TUNDRA OUT OF A RENTAL SUV I HIGHLY RECEMMEND IT SPENT LESS THEN $1900 THATS FROM PITTSBURGH NOT COUNTING THE BEUTIFUL MOUNT
I would also love to know how this hunt came about and some of the details in planning it.

I have always wanted to hunt Caribou but thought it would take quite a bit more money than $900 per person. And you say that included travel from PA?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
DM

I've always liked hunting caribou! It's a great time of year when you hunt them, great country that they live in, and great meat to eat!!

I've harvested a lot of them over the years, and got all of them in Alaska.

Drilling Man

Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 PM

I went caribou hunting in northern Quebec a few years ago.Although, I had a great time, it was a hunt were all I did was ride a boat across a lake and sit near a good trail and wait. We had a couple of days with few caribou sightings and then a few days were we saw about 200 a day. Although, I was archery hunting it just wasn't much of a hunt when some of the caribou rubbed against the bush that I was standing behind as they came by. I could have touched them. They have not ( for the most part anyway ) seen a human and don't know that they are a danger to them. I did enjoy the meat, and They make a beautiful mount ( mine is still in velvet ).
Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a descent amount of Caribou topics. Maybenot the most current , but if you look in the regional forums, and even on this forum, there are consistent post. I've never been hunting for them but I hope to in '07.

Quick Reply: Why no fuss about Carribou?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.