Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why no fuss about Carribou?

Old 08-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Default RE: Why no fuss about Carribou?

It went like this, airplane ticket from Pgh. to Fairbanks - $825.00 each, rented an explorer at the airport for about $350.00 each guy. Stopped at Walmart and bought tags and license for $450.00 each, groceries at $100.00 each. Drove north 500 miles over the Brooks range and out over the tundra, slept in the SUV, put supplies in tent, traveled back and forth on the dead end road called Dalton Highway, it ends at Prudoe Bay where you can resupply and shower.Rented a raft at a tire shop to get across the sag river near the franklin buffs 30 miles south of purdoe where it was easyer to get the required 5 miles from the road to use a rifle.Make sure you take a small raft or rent one in fairbanks it might be needed to get to the bou .I went in sept. and the weather was great, no bugs, and two heavy packs and the hunt was over. I took preservatives for the velvet antlers to keep them in velvet for the mount. Two years of saving put me on an unguided, fly in moose hunt.It cost about $2,400.00 total from Pittsburgh. Anything else I'll be glad to answer.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I understand now. I agree with the general opinion, unless the animal is smart and knows that humans area danger, it's not a fun orfair hunt.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
DM

I hope you don't think all caribou are so dumb that you can touch them, or that you can walk right up and shoot one. If you do, your sorely mistaken!!!

I have been in places where moose are that dumb andalso deer, BUT, that doesn't mean they all are!!

Drilling Man
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM

Some caribou appear stupid simply because they live so remotely, they have no idea what a human is and do not see them as a predator.

Most rental companies explicity state that the Dalton highway is off limits to their vehicles. It is a very desolate rough dirt road that eats headlights, tires, windshields, and such for breakfast. You must also be five miles off of the road to rifle hunt.

Depsite that, caribou hunting is not all that expensive. You can get dropped off via air taxi for about $1200 and harvest two caribou. The expense is getting plane tickets up here and then getting meat, gear, etc. back home.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:33 AM

I went to Quebec several years ago with my Dad and several local frineds. My Dad was very sick prior to the trip, but after surgery, etc., the doc said, go for it. It was one of the most memorable hunts I have ever had. Dad passed away shortly after the trip :-( but he had such an incredible time and he shot the biggest bull out of the entire group. We both got dandy double shovels and they are both side by side in my trophy room as I type. I have taken other big game species and been to some great places, but this one stands out for the obvious reason.

We caught the tail end of the migration, so the bow didn't get the job done early in the week, so out came the 7Mag. I'll never forget the smile on his face when we walked up to his bull...priceless!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want some insite on caribou go the the Other areas forum and there is a 45 pager on caribou hunting in Quebec that I did more than my share to contribute to. Caribou is lois of fun and a bargain, especially if you live in ythe east.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted them quite a bit as a younger guy. Went on eight or so trips with my uncles. Elk are in many peoples back yard so the draw more attention. I think the meat is about the same as far as quality but everyone's taste is different. We combined Caribou with Grizzly and moose on three different trips to the NWT. Oh to be young again but enjoy your hunting while you can guys because it won't last forever. Sooner or later many of these hunts are just to much work to be worth the effort. Old injuries and stuff can shorten the hunting years even more. We get one time around. I was lucky to have relatives that got me into hunting and drug me pretty much all over the world hunting. My Dad was a workaholic and hunting time for him was one day of Pheasant hunting and one weekend of deer hunting. I was a time misplaced hunter who wanted to do litle else. Still am but the shooting shoulder is shot and old injuries from construction and stuff makes it tough to walk very far or very fast.

If you have a dream to hunt something, someplace, get with it, get a plan made and make it happen. Hunting will never get easier than it is now, or cheaper. The costs and regulations and habitat destruction will never make it better, just worse. I have made about 25 trips to Canada either hunting, fishing or a combination of the two. I was never rich but I made that my first priority and when I would get home, I would start planning and saving for the next year. It been three years now since I have been up there but Sept. 3rd my son and Newphew and I will be off again. Another secret to my ability to take these trips is what has to be one of the worlds best and hardest working wives. She has done her best to support my addiction for 37 years now.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Well said James I do not understand the words "I can't" I worked 2 years with out a vacation plus every other weekend to hunt moose in ak. now I might do that for 3 years for a chance at a mt. goat.I get alot of suport from my wife by not taking it out of the household budget.Like James said its all start with planing.Set a date a just do it.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

i have gone 3 times to CANIAPISCAU for caribou and will return this year on the 16 of sept..with EXPLO -SYLVA in northern QUEBEC .i also hunt bear moose and deer ..i can't say one is better than the other , each hunt is different ..ps i just plain love hunting
Old 08-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'm heading up to northern Quebec in exactly 4 weeks from today!!! Holy cow. I can't believe it's here. This is my first time Caribou hunting so I can't say how easy or hard it is; but I can guarantee you one thing... it's going to be a heck of a time.

I have only had Caribou sausage (ironically bought from a store which seemed wierd to me), but everything I have heard is that the meat is fantastic.

I would venture to guess that Elk hunting is more accessible to more people and consequently is more popular to talk about.

Cheers,

Dan

Quick Reply: Why no fuss about Carribou?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.