Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack Hunt List

Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pack Hunt List

jjwillie,
I can only give my 2pesos .........But...If you could get a better rated sleeping bag.I think it would be to your advantage. If not......... pick up one of those thin fleece throws and pack it in with you .they are very light and comfortable.WATER???? I would NOT pack water. If you can ..............Buy a water filter pump.Bring a squashed plastic jug ..unsquash it and fill it with water . Also pick up a filtering water bottle.......... you should still be able to find a good un frozen water source in mid Oct. Remember EVERYTHING!!!! you pack in MUST be packed out. If you have Goretex lined boots you will only need one pair . As for the dehydrated food .I use it all the time. Try to get the ones that have beans and meat or veggies.These are complex carbs and protiens and they will help keep you going without just burning calories. Also peanuts peanut butter ,GORP and protien bars or powdered protien shakes (in a warm mug of water) Will keep Your muscles happy. Remember complex carbs (beans,peanuts apples) and protiens will better help tosustain your energy andfatigue your muscles less thruoghout the day.
I personally do not use a fire on my backpack trips.I am there to be as steathly as I can. If I hunt all day I usually am too tired to worry about a fire at night.
P.S I would recommend a good single malt in a flask. You won't worry about going to sleep.But don't over do it!!!! (Piss clear or your not hydrated enough)!!!!!!!
GLOB!!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM

WOOL!

I'd make a pair of those socks and a shirt a wool one. Also, I'd throw in a wool beenie and a pair of gloves. I know wool is heavier, but it's one of the very few materials that will save your life. I'd also take a lightweight Gore-tex jacket to help as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 AM

I would add to your list

100 feet of parachute cord
two emergency flares
water purifying tablets or pump, you will need too much fuel to boil enough water for four people for ten days , you can figure have a gallon a person per day = 20 gallons of water
water bottle
emergency space blanket
stocking cap
toilet paper
wet wipes
cigarette lighters
knives
wyoming saw or small camp axe
tent pole repair kit
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies. Can never be too prepared.

I am probably not going to start a fire unless an emergency presents itself. My group has backpacked before in the Rockies of Colorado with no problems, but ya never know, I guess. The collapsable 5gal water jug is a great idea. Just bought the filter pump, so that should work fine.

Thanks Jeff---added the hatchet....must've been a brain fart

Probably gonna up the number of socks. they can get pretty nasty after 10-12 miles a day. I have two really good pairs of boots (Merrell and Meindls) The merrells are for hiking/packing and the meindls are for snowy conditions, but considerably heavier...

Again, thanks for the replies.....
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Is there a water source nearby? My suggestion would be to take a water purifier. They work very well and you don't need to pack much in or burn a bunch of fuel boiling water.

EDIT: I just read your post above. Make sure it's not just a filter, it needs to be a water purifier. The filters don't always get all the bugs. If you don't you risk getting the flaming squirts and serious gut ache and you don't want that miles from the trailhead.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 PM

I backpack hunt in norther bc for sheep and elk every year, I would stick with your meindl boots and a pair of sandals for around camp (as long as your not in snow), and I agree with you, a fire generally is not needed, nice to look at but thats about it