Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Whats your Elk hunting plans?

Old 07-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats your Elk hunting plans?

Ok its real close many of you like myself are confident in our shooting replaced old camo and thinking about putting up the wall tent to air out and re weather or patch missed holes and been threating with the big D if we dont quit calling in the house.
What is your game plan the your first day out?

Mine is to get up early and hunt/scout an new area I found last year thats real hard to get in to its about 4 miles in and always good elk sign . And then try my hand at some off Elknuts tatics cant wait . 4 weeks 3 days till then. I will be able to hunt for 13 days total .

Good luck to all.

[/align]
Old 07-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Whats your Elk hunting plans?

I live in Southern BC. in an area of large ranches. I will be hunting on one of our neighbours properties (640 acre section). Fall rye fields skirted by heavy old growth timber draws.Have been seeing upwards of 65 cow calf pairs and approx. 14 bulls rangeing from 7x6 - spikes. Very little hunting pressure here as most of our area is private lands. Sept-10th is our opener for 6x6 or bigger! Can not wait! calling is tuned up, horses are ready to go! that leaves me 9 days to shoot my ram before Elk open up! Pressure!!! lol
Old 07-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am packing in supplies to our remote camp in the morning. I am almost ready for the aug 30th opener. I will be taking off the first two days, lobor day weekend, the weekend after that and then will be off the whole 3rd week of september including weekends. That will be a 9 day stint. This is short of what I am used too though. Two years ago I had an 18 day stint in the mountains, only interupted by one day in the hospital and then it was back on the mountain. The year before I took the whole month off. I would have been real well off that year but my girfriend at the time ran off with someone else the day before I left.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY PLANS? Well thats a easy question, my plans are to go hunting and kill aelk with my bow!

In all seriousness I am taking the 1st three days skipping a week then comming back for a solid week then hunting the evenings and of course the weekends if needed. I like the beginning of the hunt the best because the elk have not been pressured and they have not grouped up yet. Its a whole lot easier to fool a single bull than a whole herd of elk.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:25 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Going to an area that we have never hunted before, so we're going 2 days early to scout and our plan is to head into the woods about 3 hours before light and work our way into the herd by daylight, plan B is to work the wind during the day by sending one of us into the black timber with the wind to his back and the other one downwind on a major trail. I think its only a 5 day season so we have to make every hour count.This is with my bow in New Mexico 6C and if that does'nt work I'll have to kill a bull with my rifle last season in Colorado.not to mention my Utah deer tag and X-1 deer tag in california........did I die and go to heaven or what !!!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Season is September 17th - 30th (ML cow here in NV). The last two weekends of August and hopefully at least one weekend in September will be spent finallizing plans for a couple of areas I have picked out. My dad will be going out on Sept. 16th and setting up camp, and scouting and watching the elk until about the 20th or so (I have 9 days off, just depends on exactly when my days off fall). I will come up on my first day off, and will hunt. Our plan is to basically listen for the animals to locate possible herds, then watch water holes in the general area, or sit on water holes, and stock in on the animals as the opportunity arises. Because of the heat we have had this summer, and how little standing water is left, finding water will be key in the areas I have picked out, more-so in one spot than another due to the low amount of water, only a few small springs in the north end of this small range I want to hunt. We should be able to be out there until about the 28th or 29th.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:37 PM

Fixing to get the old inline out and start fine tuning it for elk hope to get a monster but will settle for a good one.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

camping and bow hunting in 410 (breaks) over labor day weekend then again for a solid 10 days to 2 weeks during mid Sept. I can't wait. hunting in some beutiful and rugged country, gettin to see (hopefully) many elk, and gettin a shot and some revenge. "Vengeance is mine sayeth the second year elk hunter"
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kill a Bull. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:41 PM

My plans have to wait for 06 since I am currently in Iraq. I guess my plas fo rthis year are to read articles, watch videos and dream......

Quick Reply: Whats your Elk hunting plans?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.