Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Whats your Elk hunting plans?

Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats your Elk hunting plans?

My archery elk season is going to be a short one this year. My wife drew a moose permit in Montana. Moose season opens September-15th.
If I am lucky I mighthave a total of 8-days to archery elk hunt???[]
I sure hope my wife gets her Moose opening morning?

Rifle season should be better for me? I drew an either sex elk permit, in an area I love to hunt. I would rather get my elk with my bow? Meat in the freezer is all I am after. I will have 15-days to rifle hunt elk. If my wife kills her moose early in the season?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I'm not hunting until 4th season in CO this year because I promised my uncle I would go with him. Unfortunately that means a short hunt for me. Nov 5th thru the 9th, then an off day on the 10th, then the drive out to MO on the 11th in time for opening day of whitetail on the 12th. My wife loves me...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Well I drew late November Bull Elk tag here in Arizona for Unit 6A Nov. 18 - 24. So the elk will all have seen hunters by then for sure. If it snows the hunting will be easier. I will hike to a good highpoint to glass from before it gets light out. When I glass a good one up after dawn, I will sneak within range for a kill shot. BINGO!!

If that doesn't work I will go into a bedding area of dense foliage and indian sneak through there. You know take a step and listen then another. Close range shooting in the dense stuff.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Drew a hunt here in NM of which only 4 other archers got tags (Marquez WMA in Mt. Taylor, Unit 9). NMDGF will send me a combo for the gate to this WMA a week before the hunt starts. Talked with one of the Rangers in the area last week and he said there are a lot of elk in the area. Plan to hunt this Sept 1-5, then will come home shower, re-pack and then my buddy and I will head up into CO and meet up with a couple more Elk buddies and hunt around the Durango area. Will do that for 3-4 days, then come back and hunt my area until the 20, when the NM Archery Season ends. I am praying that I have to go into debt this season in having to process two elk.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 AM

This year i am going to be taking off from Sept. 10th-24th, after having elk meat forseven years in a row and then going dry the last 2 years--my rule of thumb is quite simple this year---"If its brown its down",
RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 08-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

We will pack the truck for a drive back home to CO...should get there about 7-10 days before season begins...not gonna scout, just want to get there and relax and think about how good life is. As far as the actual hunting goes, I have my spot picked out for opening morning. Gonna pick up a new cow call or two and maybe some new long underwear. Almanac says we will be in for a wet and cold fall....sure hope so.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

My father & I leave Sep 24th for our first Elk hunt. We will be in Alberta WMU 438 for 7 days with Elk, Wolf & Deer tags, can't wait!!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Seems how the season OPens in 27 Days... I will be hunting A wondedful spot in Idaho. Myself along with 4 other buddies are takin the Mules and getting way back in the back country! We are taken 20 head with us with all our gear! It will be the best two weeks for me this year! I will be sure to put some pics up here! Along with that 350" plus Bull I stick with my Bow!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Here in MT, I'll be heading out for three days on Labor Day weekend, the opener is Saturday. Then I'll take another three-day weekend 9-11 Sep, and take my 10 year old nephew out for a taste of elk bowhunting. Then, starting 17 Sep, I have 16 days off and the real fun begins. I'll backpack in up to 10 miles on each of these hunts, and I've got some big bulls located. Just getting them inside my 30 yard bow range will be the trick. I'm holding out for a 300+ bull for the first half of the hunt, after that, I'll go into pure meat hunter mode and take whatever I can get.

I'm can't wait!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM

My plans are simple:
1. not sleep much until I Sept. 16
2. dream about going elk hunting
3. practice calling every day until I get there
4. practice shooting my bow
5. pack all my camping gear about a dozen times to make sure its all there
6. listen to and tell stories about past hunts as much as possible
7. try toconvincemy wife that all this is really necessary
8. somehow survive all this until then
9. aggrevate all my friends with updates on how long I still have to wait before I get to go
10. somehow I know that the time will fly by and finally I will get to go on my trip where I will drive for 26 hours with my 2 buddies to Colorado for another awesome elk hunt. Once there, of course we will make all the stops for license, food, gas, water, and all the local gossip we can get on where the elk are at. Then, on the hill to pitch camp and then into the woods to hunt. I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Whats your Elk hunting plans?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.